Crimson Bears boys storm Falcons pitch

JDHS wins 8-0 on chilly Thunder Mountain field

Juneau-Douglas High School senior Jackson Lehnhart scored less than 10 seconds into Monday nights 8-0 win over host Thunder Mountain on Monday night at Falcons Field, heating up what was a cold night on the pitch at Falcons Field.


“I think that was the fastest goal I have ever seen,” JDHS coach Gary Lehnhart said. “It was a really nice shot. We jumped out quickly and that is tough to overcome.”

Justin Bellagh had the assist; one of his three assists on the night.

With temperatures dipping in the wind off the glacier, Lehnhart applied more heat by scoring on a free kick three minutes later. As soon as the referee set the ball down, Lehnhart noticed there was a bit of confusion on the defense and blasted a shot to the left netting.

The Crimson Bears scored again at the eight-minute mark as Ryan Hoover was assisted by Bellagh.

At 15-minutes Nick Stewart scored from a Ben Scudder throw in.

Lehnhart scored unassisted at 31 minutes and four minutes later Barclay Weyhrauch tallied on an assist from Antonio Hafferty for a 6-0 score in the first half.

The Falcons got a great goalie save from Jasper Soriano midway through the first half. The Crimson Bears’ Bellagh placed a perfect assist across the goal to Lehnhart who headed a shot that seemed to be inside the goal. Soriano dove across and knocked the ball away.

“I told him after the game that was the best I have ever seen,” JDHS coach Lehnhart said. “Matt Walton made a tremendous save in the 2006 state championships against West Anchorage. But that save tonight was something special.”

Three minutes into the second half, Stewart scored again on a Bellagh assist. The Crimson Bears got their final score on Weyhrauch’s second goal and Hafferty’s second assist.

Stanford bound senior Sam Kurland made his début in goal in the second half for JDHS making three saves.

“I think Thunder Mountain will do a lot better next time,” Lehnhart said. “We were really playing well up front. We played skillfully and moved the ball quickly.”

The Falcons played better in the second half.

“Getting all the minds together is kind of tough,” TMHS coach Sam Greely said. “Getting them all on the same page. It was frustrating at points but I was glad to see our second half was better. Just being able to pick themselves up in the second half is a big turning point.”

The Falcons next host the Ketchikan Kings on April 16-17. The Crimson Bears travel to Washington for games April 5-9.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback