Furloughed federal employees may apply for state unemployment benefits

Federal workers on furlough because of the federal government shutdown may apply for unemployment benefits immediately.

In a statement released Tuesday, the Alaska Department of Labor warned that because federal payroll offices may be furloughed, federal workers will need to provide proof of earnings for 2012 and 2013 to make an eligible claim. Proof of earnings can be a W-2, Leave & Earnings statements or, if those are not available, the most recent Personnel Action form (SF50).

Claims filed prior to Oct. 6, 2013 should provide proof of earnings for April 1, 2012 through April 6, 2013. Claims filed on or after Oct. 6, 2013 should provide proof of earnings for July 1, 2012 through July 6, 2013.

All claims will need to be filed through a MyAlaska account, the same account used by residents to apply for the Permanent Fund Dividend.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






Mon, 01/22/2018 - 09:44

Alaska auditors recommend dissolving state’s tourism marketing board

When is a tourist like a fish?

Read more

Juneau man named head of public employees’ union

A Juneau man has been named executive director of the state’s largest labor union.

Read more