JUNEAU (AP) — Juneau will hold off on opening bids for a $54 million floating cruise ship berth project until the municipality obtains title to submerged tidelands
The city had scheduled a bid opening for Tuesday but port director Carl Uchytil said bids will remain sealed until at least January after the land issue is decided.
Uchytil said the bid opening will be delayed out of "an abundance of caution," KTOO-FM (http://bit.ly/1egIY7g) reported.
The new bid opening date will be announced following a final finding and decision of the Alaska Department of Natural Resources to convey tidelands to the city and borough of Juneau, Uchytil said in an announcement.
The state Natural Resources Department has made a preliminary decision to recommend transfer of nearly 18 acres to the city.
The Juneau Assembly and private citizens last week expressed concern about moving ahead with bids while the conveyance remained unresolved.
The state continues to collect public testimony on the conveyance. The public can submit testimony until Dec. 9.
Department officials say a review of testimony could take several weeks and a final decision will follow.