Firefighters respond to Juneau's first house fire of 2009

Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009

JUNEAU - Capital City Fire and Rescue responded to the first structure fire of 2009 at about 7 a.m. Saturday at 1700 Angus Way.

On arrival, a small fire was located on the ceiling along a waterline. The fire was likely caused from heat tape wrapped around a pipe. The fire was quickly knocked down and during overhaul it was found that there was a significant amount of fire burning in the space above the sheetrock.

Additional volunteers were called to the scene to assist with fire suppression. There were approximately 18 personnel, two engines, one ambulance, one rescue truck and two chief officers on scene.

Damage to the residence is estimated at $20,000. Fire damage was contained to the basement level. The occupants were home at the time of the fire but no injuries were reported.

Approximately $300,000 in structural value was saved. The value of the contents inside the home was not estimated.

This was the fourth heat tape related fire of the 2008-2009 winter that CCFR has responded to. Fire officials ask that residents who use heat tape periodically check and replace the tape.



Related Searches

 JUNEAU   MAN-MADE DISASTER   DISASTER_ACCIDENT   USD 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING