State and local briefly

Posted: Friday, January 14, 2000

Port conflict changes ferry times

JUNEAU - The Alaska Marine Highway ferry Matanuska will depart Auke Bay late on Monday to avoid a port conflict with the ferry Aurora at Petersburg.

The Matanuska is now scheduled to leave Juneau at 11:15 a.m. - five hours later than the published schedule indicates - and will arrive in Petersburg at 7:15 p.m., after the Aurora's departure.

The Matanuska will then leave Petersburg at 8 p.m. - 30 minutes late - and will be back on the published schedule when it leaves Wrangell on Tuesday at 12:15 a.m.

Travelers who want to make reservations or who need current schedule information should call 465-3941.

Glacier Bay meetings location changed

JUNEAU - The National Park Service has changed the location of two upcoming meetings about the Glacier Bay compensation program.

The informal open houses will be held in the Hickel Room at Centennial Hall - not at the Goldbelt Hotel - from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday.

The public will have the opportunity to comment on the $23 million program to compensate the people, businesses and communities that will be hurt by new commercial fishing restrictions in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve.

Ferry union leadership changes

PETERSBURG - The union representing most of Alaska's ferry workers has a new leader.

``I'm looking forward to working with the state to create a better system, a more efficient system,'' said Darryl Tseu. ``I think it's time that labor and management worked together on some things.''

Tseu replaced Bob Provost as Alaska director of the Inlandboatmen's Union of the Pacific last month. Provost had led the 500-member union for six years.

``The reason why I was elected is because (members) wanted some change perhaps,'' said Tseu, who has never worked as a union representative before. ``I am looking more towards being interactive with the communities.''

Tseu, who lives in Juneau, has worked for the ferry system for nine years. He said he worked his way up through the ranks and spent the last five years with the purser's department.

Child's death ruled a homicide

FAIRBANKS - The death of a 4-year-old boy from Fort Wainwright who suffered multiple head injuries has been ruled a homicide.

An autopsy determined the cause of death for Ja'lon Jercorious Johnson was from multiple cranio-cerebral injuries, Army Maj. Bryan Hilferty said Thursday.

Ja'lon's father is a sergeant stationed at Fort Wainwright on the outskirts of Fairbanks. The initial autopsy was conducted Dec. 10 by the state medical examiner's office, but testing took additional time, Hilferty said. The autopsy report called the death a homicide, he said.

Ja'lon was one of two children from military families brought to Providence Alaska Medical Center in unrelated episodes. The other was the son of a Fort Richardson soldier. That baby, who has not been identified and is about 4 months old, was discharged this week into the custody of Alaska's child protection agency.

The Army Criminal Investigation Command is heading the investigations into both episodes. No charges have been filed.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us