Friday-Saturday, Jan. 25-26
• Juneau-Douglas High School boys and girls basketball - The Juneau-Douglas High School boys and girls basketball teams will take on Colony at the JDHS gym. The girls games tip off at 6 p.m. while the boys games start at 8 p.m.
Friday-Saturday, Feb. 1-2
• Juneau-Douglas High School girls basketball - The Juneau-Douglas High School girls basketball team will host Southeast Conference rivals Ketchikan at the JDHS gym. Both games will take place at 8 p.m.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Gastineau Channel Little League registration - The Gastineau Channel Little League is happy to announce that online registration is now available for those wishing to register their kids for the 2008 baseball, softball or teeball season. Early registration rates will be in effect until Jan. 27. To register online, go to www.eteamz.com/gcllak or call 635-3416. Volunteers will also be at the Nugget Mall on Jan. 19 between noon and 4 p.m. for signups. Info: Gastineau Channel Little League, 635-3416.
• Eaglecrest Ski Area events - On Jan. 27 and Feb. 2, 9, 16 and 23 from 1-3 p.m. each sesion will be the Let's Go Skiing! Women's Reach the Peak Series for women skiers ages 18-and-up for all abilities. Mulit-clinic punchcards are available. Also, Monday afternoons throughout the season will be Seniors Edge classes for skiers 55-and-older. This includes a brown bag lunch, socializing, discussions, tips from professional instructors, coffee and cookies. Rental and lift packages along with mulit-clinic punch cards are available. Info: www.skijuneau.com or 790-2000 x211.
• Classic Women's Soccer starting up - Classic Women's Soccer started Jan. 15. No experience necessary. Older women and new players are encouraged and welcomed to play. Games are Tuesday evenings at the Mount Jumbo Gym. Cost is $30. Co-ed Masters soccer for players over 30 will start Jan. 27. Games will take place Sunday evenings at Floyd Dryden Middle School. Cost is $30. Registration forms and league information can be seen at www.juneausoccer.com. Info: Juneau Soccer, 523-9196.
• Learn to ice skate with the Juneau Skating Club - Session 3 of learning to skate with the Juneau Skating Club started Jan. 11. Classes meet one time per week for six weeks. Group lessons meet either Fridays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. or Saturdays from 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. Registration forms and other information are available at www.juneauskatingclub.org. Info: Juneau Skating Club, 523-9115.
• Juneau Golf Club Alaska Tournament - The Juneau Golf Club's annual Alaska Tournament will take place March 4-7 at the Francisco Grande Resort in Casa Grande, Ariz. This is the 22nd year for the event and is a fundraiser for the Juneau Junior Golf Club. Registration forms and information are available at www.juneaugolf.com. Info: Steven and Cindy Schlaffman at 360-452-7955.
• Tornados Youth Wrestling Club - Registration for the Tornados Youth Wrestling Club will take place from now until Feb. 28. Tornados wrestling is for boys and girls ages 5 to 18 who are interested in learning wrestling skills. Practice for ages 5-18 started Jan. 9. Adult wrestlers and coaches are welcome and encouraged to participate. The sport of wrestling teaches youth teamwork, goal-setting and self control, as well as promoting physical fitness in a fun, safe and structured environment. Practices are Monday and Wednesday from 6:15-7:15 p.m. for ages 5-12 and 7:15-8:30 p.m. for older wrestlers. Registration fee is $65. Info: Bob Koenitzer, 789-0874 or Lee Kadinger, 723-2879.
• Treadwell Ice Arena - Treadwell Ice Arena is open seven days a weekand is now selling hot chocolate and coffee. Open skate fees are $4 for adults, $3 for youth and $2 for skate rental. Hockey skills and drills winter sessions for January, February and March have begun and space is still available. Fee is $42 for four weeks. Parent/tot skating lessons are on Thursdays. Fee is $45 for four weeks or $15 to drop in. Fees include admission, skate rental and a 30-minute lesson for one adult and one child. Info: Treadwell Arena, 586-0410 or www.juneau.org/parksrec/icerink.
• Volunteer basketball coaches needed - Juneau Parks and Recreation is looking for volunteer coaches for the upcoming Youth Basketball Program. The season will run from Jan. 21 to March 8. Persons knowledgeable about basketball who enjoy working with youth are encouraged to call Parks and Rec or drop by the office for more information. The commitment is no more than four hours per week and you must be at least 15 years old. Info: Parks and Rec, 586-5226, Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us or www.juneau.org/parkrec/youth/coach.php.
• Mt. Jumbo Preschool open gym - Open gym will be held for youth up to age 6 with an adult. Cost is $1 per child and punchcards are available at the gym. Gym is open Monday-Friday from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Toys, climbers, tricycles, building blocks, mats and balls will be provided. Info: Parks and Recreation, 586-5226, Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us.
• Mt. Jumbo gym rental - Gym is available for $27 per hour. Soccer goals, balls, preschool play equipment, mats and basketball court are all available for use. Info: Parks and Recreation, 586-5226, Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us.
• JDHS turf field available - The turf field by Juneau-Douglas High School is available for community use. The charge for reserving the field is $5 per hour for non-profit youth groups, $10 per hour for non-profit adult groups and $15 per hour for all other groups. Individuals and groups are asked to keep food, drink, gum and animals off the field. Info: Community Schools at 523-1773.
• Juneau Ski Club Mighty Mites registration - Mighty Mites, a racing program available for young skiers ages 7 to 12, will start Jan. 5 and runs 10 weeks at Eaglecrest Ski Area. Program choices are from 9:30 a.m. until noon on Saturdays or Sundays, or all-day Saturdays. More information and registration forms are available at www.juneauskiracing.org. Forms can be picked up at Foggy Mountain Sports, the Nugget Alaskan Outfitter or Eaglecrest Ski Area. Registration forms can be mailed or dropped off at Eaglecrest. For more information, call 789-5761 or Eaglecrest Ski School.
OPEN GYMS / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
• Dzantik'i Heeni open gym - Community Schools in cooperation with the PEP grant is sponsoring open gyms at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School on Saturdays from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. for youth in grades 6-12. There is no charge and youth are encouraged to bring a basketball or volleyball. Info: Community Schools, 523-1774.
• Zach Gordon Youth Center climbing wall - Climbing wall hours are 5-7 p.m. on Mondays, and 3:30-7 p.m. on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The climbing wall can be used by people of all ages. Climbers age 20-younger climb free, while adults 21-older pay $5 to use the wall. Youth-adult interaction is encouraged, so an adult climbing with a youth pays no fee. Private rental times are available for $25 per hour. Info and scheduling: Zach Gordon Youth Center, 586-2635.
• Evening masters swimming program - The Augustus Brown pool hosts a twice-weekly evening masters swimming program. The program will meet from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and is designed to promote and improve the physical and mental well-being of adults age 19 and older. Participants must be able to swim crawlstroke and backstroke. Info: Augustus Brown swim pool, 586-5325.
• Basketball/volleyball court rentals available - The Juneau Community Schools program has basketball/volleyball court rental times available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School. The cost to rent the court is $20 per hour, which must be paid at the time of rental. This is for adult activities only. Info: Juneau Community Schools, 463-1717.
• Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation Wednesday and Saturday hikes - For updates on locations of Wednesday and Saturday group hikes, call the Juneau Parks and Recreation Hikes Hotline. Always remember to bring plenty of food and water, wear warm layers of clothing and proper footwear for the hike. No dogs or firearms are allowed. Wednesday hikes are limited to hikers 18 years of age or older. Saturday hikes are open to families, and children must be accompanied by an adult. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation Hikes Hotline, 586-0428.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. All press releases must include a contact name and a phone number that can be released to the public. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com. Put the words "Sports in Juneau" in the subject line.