Juneau Arts & Humanities Council has announced the selection of the recipients for the Fourth Annual Mayor’s Awards for the Arts, to be presented at the Sunday Wearable Arts Extravaganza on Feb. 13 at 3 pm, at Centennial Hall.
• Artist: Della Cheney, a weaver of red and yellow cedar bark, Ravens Tail weaving, and spruce root weaving. She teaches both traditional and contemporary styles, and has taught over 150 people from children to adults to weave.
• Arts in Education: MK MacNaughton, for her “seismic impact on the community” in helping anyone realize their artistic talents through her work as program developer for the Canvas.
• Business Leadership in the Arts: Elgee Rehfeld Mertz, CPAs for their years of providing tax and accounting support to many small and large not-for-profit organizations in Juneau, including the Juneau Arts & Humanities Council, Juneau Jazz and Classics, the Glacier Swim Club, Juneau Symphony, Perseverance Theatre and more.
• Innovative Application of the Arts: Aaron Elmore, Katie Jensen and Theatre in the Rough, for their commitment to the rebuilding of McPhetres Hall.
• Lifetime Achievement in the Arts: Susan Burke, for her nearly 30 years of board service to arts organizations in Juneau.
• Patron of the Arts: The award this year is shared by Sharon Gaiptman, Deborah Smith, and Missouri Smyth, in recognition of their teamwork to produce King Island Christmas, a benefit for the Juneau Arts Endowment in honor of George and Jean Rogers, and Rie Munoz.
• Volunteer for the Arts: Daniel Beason, for his 13 years as the regular weekend volunteer at the Juneau City Museum.
For more information, call Nancy DeCherney at 586-2787.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us