http://racerealty.com/

Lunafest Film Festival held Friday, Women's Expo Saturday

Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Juneau Pro-Choice Coalition will host the Lunafest Film Festival this weekend, a community event featuring nine short films “by, for and about women.” The festival begins with a silent auction at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 28, at Centennial Hall. Showtime is 7 p.m.

Lunafest was established in 2000 by LUNA, the makers of the Whole Nutrition Bar for Women, to simultaneously promote women filmmakers, raise awareness for women’s issues, and support worthy women’s nonprofit organizations throughout the U.S. and Canada. The film festival is completely funded by LUNA with 100 percent of all proceeds donated to charity – 15 percent to the Breast Cancer Fund and the remaining 85 percent going directly back to local community organizations. To date, Lunafest has raised over $570,000 for women’s organizations.

This year’s selection of films range from a short documentary about a 92-year-old Alzheimer’s patient to a stop-motion animated short from Israel.

Tickets are $10 and are available at the JACC, Hearthside Books, from JPCC Board Members, and at the door.

For more information, visit www.lunafest.org, or contact carolyn Brown, 364-2726, or Caroline Schultz, 360-5835.

The film festival coincides with the Alaska Women’s Expo, happening from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at Centennial Hall. This event, sponsored by the Bartlett Regional Hospital Foundation, will feature classes and demonstrations, as well as a presentation by Rep. Cathy Munoz, Rep. Beth Kerttula, and Rep. Peggy Wilson

Admission is free.

For more information about the expo, contact Tricia Sine, 463-5704, or brhfound@gci.net, or visit www.brhfoundation.org.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-523-2295
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2270
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING