Fire, smoke damage house

Posted: Friday, January 28, 2000

The living room of a Mendenhall Valley house was burned in a fire Thursday afternoon.

The one-story house at 3752 Julep St. sustained about $50,000 damage, including heavy smoke damage to the kitchen.

``It's gone. It's all gone,'' said homeowner Ken Aparicio, looking through the dark, charred house after the fire. He pointed to the melted hood over the stove and picked up a melted butter dish from a kitchen counter.

No one was hurt and the house didn't suffer much structural damage, firefighters said.

``It could have been a lot worse,'' said Glacier District Volunteer Chief Max Mielke. ``We figure a few more minutes, it would have gone up altogether.''

Capital City Fire and Rescue firefighters arrived at the house about five minutes after getting the 1:28 p.m. call from a neighbor, Mielke said.

Twenty-three volunteers and paid firefighters responded to the fire.

Two teams entered the house, encountering heavy smoke down to the floor and ``quite a bit of heat,'' he said. They put out the fire in a couple of minutes.

No one was home when the fire started. It began in the living room and was accidental, Mielke said. Further information on the cause wasn't available today.

Aparicio, who lived there with his 7-year-old son Kyle and girlfriend Sue Haggerty, said the house is insured and they have a place to stay.

``It's pretty bad. The whole living room's gone. (But) we'll be able to rebuild - no problem,'' Aparicio said.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us