Friday-Saturday, Feb. 7-8
• Juneau-Douglas High School girls basketball - Homecoming games: The Crimson Bears host the Ketchikan Kings for a pair of Region V-Class 4A games at 6 p.m. each night at the JDHS main gym. The Juneau and Ketchikan girls JV teams play at 2 p.m. each day.
• Juneau-Douglas High School boys basketball - Homecoming games: The Crimson Bears host the Sitka Wolves for a pair of Region V-Class 4A games at 8 p.m. each night at the JDHS main gym. The Juneau and Sitka boys JV teams play at 4 p.m. each day.
Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 8-9
• Gastineau Channel Bowling Association - 46th Annual City Championship: Entries closed at midnight on Friday, Jan. 31, at Channel Bowl. Event is for singles, doubles and five-person teams. Squad times are 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8; and 10 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 9. No squad times will be added after 10 a.m. on Feb. 9. Entry fee is $22 per bowler per event (singles, doubles and team), with an optional all-events entry fee of $5. This tournament is sanctioned by the American Bowling Congress. Info: Channel Bowl, 586-1165, or Jeff Jones, 789-1527.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Gastineau Channel Little League directors meeting - The regular GCLL board of directors meeting is at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 4, at the Floyd Dryden Middle School library. Planning for the 2003 season tops the agenda and the meeting is open to the public. The next meeting is on Feb. 25. Info: GCLL president J. Allan MacKinnon, 789-0320, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Juneau Alpine Club monthly meeting - Meet at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 4, at the Douglas Library for the club's annual meeting. Pizza will be provided and participants are welcome to bring desserts to share with the group. Info: Greg Bledsoe, 463-3211.
• Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation Treadwell Ice Arena opening - A pre-opening session for the new Treadwell Ice Arena in Douglas takes place on Thursday, Feb. 6. Events include 50 or better from 10:30 a.m. to noon; open skate from 12:15-1:45 p.m.; rentals from 2-3 p.m. and 3:15-4:15 p.m.; and open skates from 4:30-5:45 p.m. and 6:45-8 p.m. A complete facility schedule will be available at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office about noon on Monday, Feb. 3. People can reserve rental time at the arena starting from noon to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 5, with reservations made at the arena. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
• Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult coed volleyball league team managers meeting - Team managers need to meet at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 6, at the Juneau Assembly Chambers downtown. Teams with at least one representative at the meeting will receive one bonus victory to count toward the final standings. Rules and schedules will be distributed. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
• Juneau Yacht Club-Sail Squadron monthly meeting - Meet at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 6, at the Juneau Yacht Club headquarters near Norway Point. The meeting is for anybody interested in racing, cruising or sailboats in general. There will be a short presentation, then planning will begin for this summer's events. Info: JYC Commodore Damon Cruz, 790-4564, or on the Web at http://www.juneauyachtclub.org.
• Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult coed volleyball officials needed - Volleyball officials are needed for the upcoming adult coed volleyball season, which opens play on Feb. 10. Officials are paid $9.36 per match. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
• Gastineau Channel Little League online registration - Online registration will be open through Feb. 10 for early registration, through March 10 for regular registration and late registration after that at the Gastineau Channel Little League's Web site, http://www.juneau.com/littleleague/. The secure Web site went live this month and parents can now use it to pay for their children's registration by credit card. Regular registration will take place at the Nugget Mall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays during the weekends of Feb. 15-16, 22-23 and March 1-2. The GCLL is open to baseball and softball players ages 6-18. Players new to the league need birth certificates. Info: GCLL President J. Allan MacKinnon, 789-0320, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
• HoopTime youth basketball - Southeast Shootout: The inaugural Southeast Shootout takes place on Feb. 14-16 at several gyms around town. The finals on Sunday will be at the Juneau-Douglas High School main gym. Brackets are available for fifth- through eighth-graders for boys and girls, with three divisions for each gender. More information is available on HoopTime's Web site, http://www.hooptime-basketball.org. Info: Edd Webb, 789-8436 (home), 321-8836 (cell) or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation adult coed volleyball skills clinic and officials clinic - Meet on Sunday, Feb. 16, at the Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Coed division 1, 2 and 3 players meet from 1:30-3:45 p.m., and coed division 4 and 5 players meet from 4-6:15 p.m. The clinic is free to all participants in the Parks and Rec adult coed volleyball league. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
• Juneau Tornados youth wrestling club registration - Meet from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 17, and on Saturday, Feb. 22, at the Gottschalks end of the Mendenhall Mall. The club is open to young athletes ages 5-18 interested in learning wrestling skills (male and female wrestlers welcomed). The registration fee is $60 (grants are available), and a copy of each child's birth certificate is required. Info: Juneau Tornados coach Bob Mahon, 789-3477.
• Water Safety Instructor (WSI) course organizational meeting - Meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 23, at the Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool. This course is required for anyone wanting to teach swimming lessons. To participate, swimmers must be at least 17 years old and able to swim 50 yards each of front crawlstroke (freestyle in competitive swimming), back crawlstroke (backstroke), sidestroke, breaststroke and elementary backstroke, and 10 yards of butterfly. Info: Augustus G. Brown Simming Pool, 586-5325.
OPEN GYMS / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
• Youth open gyms - Meet from 8-11 p.m. on Saturdays (Feb. 8, 15 and 22) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Friday night youth open gyms at Floyd Dryden Middle School have been canceled due to lack of participants. Youth open gyms are free for students in grades 5-12. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
• Adult volleyball/basketball open gyms - Meet from 8-10 p.m. on Fridays (Feb. 7, 14 and 21) and from 7-9 p.m. on Sundays (Feb. 9, 16 and 23) at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Cost is $4. Info: Community Schools, 463-1700, Ext. 325.
• Adult soccer open gyms - Meet from 8-10 p.m. on Fridays (Feb. 7 and 14) or from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Sundays (Feb. 9 and 16) at Floyd Dryden Middle School gym. Meet from 8-10 p.m. on Mondays (Feb. 3, 10 and 17) at the Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym. Cost is $4. Info: Community Schools, 463-1700, Ext. 325.
• 4-H Nordic Ski Club - The fifth year of this club for youth and adult skiers will meet every Sunday afternoon through March 16 at various locations TBA with club leaders Odin Brudie and Frankie Pillifant ($6 membership fee). The club has a limited number of pairs of classic and skating ski sets for rent for $20 for the entire winter season. Club leaders will help parents size skis for their children. The club only rents youth skis, adults must provide their own. If families couldn't attend the Dec. 14 registration meeting, they should call the 4-H office and enroll by phone. Info: Jim Douglas at the 4-H office, 465-8749.
• Badminton open gyms - Auke Bay: Meet from 8-10 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays at the Auke Bay Elementary School gymnasium. All levels of play available for teens through adults. Bring a racquet, birdies will be provided. Cost is $3. Info: Theresa Walden, 790-2499. Douglas: Meet from 7:30-9:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Gastineau Elementary School gymnasium. All levels of play welcome. Bring a racquet. Cost is $3. Info: Jag Yellesetty, 586-3598, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us