• In 1939, The "cocktail" or "saloon bill," permitting beer, wine, and hard liquor to be sold by the drink, passed the Alaska State Senate by a vote of five to three.
• In 1961, Juneau's first commercial jet transport, a Pan American Boeing 707 Clipper, arrived at Juneau International Airport.
In the nation
• In 1690, the first paper money in America was issued by the colony of Massachusetts.
• In 1809, the territory of Illinois was created.
• In 1959, a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, claimed the lives of rock-and-roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson.
• In 1998, The state of Texas executed Karla Faye Tucker for the pickax killings of two people in 1983; she was the first woman executed in the United States since 1984.
In the world
• In 1783, Spain recognized U.S. independence.
• In 2002, More than 40 people were killed in an earthquake in Turkey.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.