Bears bounce back in weekend split with Ketchikan

Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Juneau Douglas boys basketball team earned a split this the weekend in Ketchikan, winning the second of two games against the defending Southeast Conference champion Kings.

The Crimson Bears (15-3) defeated the Kings (11-4) on Saturday 66-52. The Bears had a nine-game winning streak end Friday when they fell to Ketchikan 82-65.

With three minutes remaining in Saturday's game, JDHS center Will Egolf secured an offensive rebound off a miss of Luke Miller's second free throw attempt. Egolf quickly tipped the shot in, increasing the Bears' lead to 56-47 and setting off a chorus of jeers and boos from the crowd.

JDHS quickly pressured Ketchikan into a turnover on the following possession.

With the home team and crowd deflated, the Bears rapidly coasted to the 13-point win.

"We played much more effectively tonight compared to yesterday," JDHS coach George Houston said. "Friday we just got overly emotional. We did a much better job tonight, and we were able to get the ball inside and play a hard physical game."

Trailing 31-27 at the half, JDHS came alive in the third quarter, outscoring the Kings 20-8.

Led by Egolf, who registered 18 points for the game, the Bears played aggressively throughout the contest, out-hustling Ketchikan for the ball virtually the entire night.

"We aligned our offense a little differently tonight, and we tried to get the ball to Egolf more, which we were able to do," Houston said.

The strategy worked as Ketchikan appeared lackluster in the second half.

The Kings soon got into foul trouble and committed 11 turnovers. The Bears outscored them in the half by a 41-21 margin.

Ryan Fagerstrom scored 17 points and Miller scored 7 for the Bears.

In Friday's game, the Crimson Bears' nine-game winning streak came to an end as they lost to the Kings 82-65.

In a foul-filled game that saw Ketchikan attempt 40 free throws and make 25, the Bears quickly fell into trouble.

The Kings played an aggressive game in which they continuously pushed the ball up the court, forcing the issue offensively and leading to opportunities at the foul line.

The Bears also were forced into numerous turnovers and did a poor job defensively of stopping the aggressive Kings.

The Bears fell behind early in the game, trailing 22-13 after the first quarter.

The early deficit would only increase, reaching 14 points as JDHS trailed 44-30 at the half.

The Bears would eventually slow down the Ketchikan attack, pulling to within 10 at 52-42 with 2:12 remaining in the third quarter. That would be the closest Juneau-Douglas would get the rest of the night. Ketchikan led 56-44 to begin the final period.

Egolf led the game in scoring with 18 points. Scott Lesh scored 14 points, including three 3-pointers. Clae Baker scored 9 points for the Bears

Thomas Montgomery was the leading scorer for Ketchikan with 16 points.

JDHS will be home for two games against Sitka next Friday and Saturday.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us