Woman dies from injuries in Angoon fire

Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A longtime community health aide who was seriously injured in a fire in Angoon over the weekend has died in a Seattle hospital, officials said Tuesday.

Jessie Jim, 67, died early Tuesday, according to Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman Susan Gregg-Hanson. She was being treated for smoke inhalation and burns.

Charles L. Nelson, 23, of Angoon died of smoke inhalation from the fire that broke out in the home Saturday.

Two other Angoon residents suffered from smoke inhalation. They were identified as 18-year-old Michael J. Lane and 36-year-old Ernest K. Joseph, a volunteer fire fighter.

Both were treated at Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau and released.

Sound off on the important issues at

The cause of the fire is believed to be unattended cooking in the kitchen, Alaska State Troopers said.

Jim retired in 2005 after 35 years as a health aid. She was one of the first group of community heath aides who helped launch the program in Southeast Alaska in the late 1960s.

The SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium offered condolences to her family.

"The SEARHC family is profoundly saddened," said Ken Brewer, president and CEO of the organization. "She will be missed by multitudes and remembered and honored by many."

• The Associated Press contributed to this report.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING