State Briefs

Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003

Assembly to review school bond election

JUNEAU - Juneau voters would decide whether to issue $12.6 million in bonds for a Mendenhall Valley high school at an election June 3, under an ordinance the Juneau Assembly will consider on Monday.

Voters already have approved about $48 million in bonds for the $60.8 school project, and the bonds would qualify for a 60 percent reimbursement from the state, according to the ordinance. Assembly members also have discussed the possibility of adding funding for Juneau-Douglas High School to the June ballot.

Man faces murder charge in shooting of Anchorage boy

ANCHORAGE - A young Anchorage man who accidentally shot a 15-year-old to death has been charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter.

Ben Shipp, 18, is being held on $100,000 cash bail after the death of Barry Wold, his girlfriend's brother and a student at Romig Middle School.

Shipp told police he was playing with what he thought was an unloaded handgun about 2:45 p.m. Wednesday when the weapon went off, according to police. The bullet hit Wold in the head. He died early Thursday.

Shipp was taken into custody after the shooting on an outstanding warrant for failure to appear in court for discharging a firearm. That misdemeanor charge stemmed from an incident last July when Shipp fired a handgun in East Anchorage, according to police.

Murkowski names new School Board

JUNEAU - Gov. Frank Murkowski named seven members to the state's School Board on Friday, including retiring Education Commissioner Shirley Holloway.

He replaced all voting members of the Board of Education and Early Development. The board also has a student and a military member who don't vote.

The other new members are Esther Cox of Anchorage, Patsy DeWitt of Juneau, Richard Mauer of Delta Junction, Sylvia Reynolds of Soldotna, Rex Rock of Point Hope and Tim Scott of Anchorage.

The board will appoint a new commissioner, subject to approval of the governor.

Murkowski announced Thursday that Holloway, who was education commissioner under former Gov. Tony Knowles, is retiring from that job March 3 after 40 years of work as an educator.

Cox is a former principal at Romig Junior High School and the King Career Center with the Anchorage School District.

DeWitt has served as PTO president for the Juneau School District and has received awards for her volunteer work in schools.

Mauer is education services officer with the Army and has been a member of the Delta-Greely School Board for 12 years.

Reynolds is principal of K-Beach Elementary School in Soldotna and was formerly principal of Soldotna High School.

Rock is president and CEO of the Tikigaq Corp. and vice chairman for the Arctic Slope Regional Corp. board.

Scott is chief administrator for the Family Partnership Charter School.

Ungrateful ungulate

FAIRBANKS - The cow moose really didn't like being pulled out of the Chena River by its nose.

But while that novel approach by a rescue party from the Alaska State Troopers didn't win the moose's appreciation, all parties ended up safe after Wednesday's incident.

Four troopers were dispatched after local resident Gail Flodin spotted the 1,200-pound moose struggling to keep its nose above water after breaking through the ice.

Fish and Wildlife Protection Trooper Justin Lindell headed out onto the river ice carrying a rescue implement and a new technique.

The implement was a long stick with a rope at the end tied into a noose. The technique was slipping the noose over the moose's snout, instead of around the animal's neck.

"We decided to try to put the noose around the nose instead of the neck so we didn't choke the moose," Lindell said.

Once Lindell had noose secured on snout, troopers on shore tied the other end of the rope to a snowmachine belonging to a man who stopped to help.

Aided by the tug of the machine, the group was able to get the moose out of the water. Lindell said his next move was to run toward shore.

"It got mad at me," he said.

Although the moose had been in the frigid water for more than an hour, rescuers figured it was going to be OK once the animal stood up and walked to shore.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us