Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2001

John B. Hunter

Lifelong Angoon resident John Bernard Hunter died Jan. 24, 2001, in Angoon.

A traditional Tlingit 40-day party will be held Saturday, March 3, in Angoon. Services were held in January.

Hunter was born Oct. 15, 1951, to Rodney and Lena Hunter of Angoon. He served in Vietnam in the early 1970s. He worked as a miner with Green's Creek Mine, as a commercial fisherman, and in construction. He volunteered with Angoon Search and Rescue and with the fire department.

He loved fishing, camping and hunting with his family and friends. He supported community youth activities such as basketball and other sports.

His family wrote, "We were lucky to have a husband and father like Johnnie. He loved his family and community and worked at any job to see they were taken care of. He could always be counted on for extra help."

He is survived by his wife Roberta Hunter and children Robert Hunter, Jonna Hunter, Lillian Hunter Woodbury and Guy Hunter, all of Angoon; brothers Kenneth, Michael, William and Scott Hunter, sisters Marcella Mazon, Doris and Jackie Hunter, and adopted sister Mary Sugar Johnson, as well as aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews, and in-laws Cyril and Judy George of Juneau, Richard, Jeff, Byron and Joe George, and the late Skip George.

Adm. William Ellis

Former Coast Guard Adm. William B. Ellis, who served in Juneau and Ketchikan, died Feb. 5, 2001, in Glen Ridge, N.J.

Ellis, 87, graduated from the Coast Guard Academy in 1936 and came to Southeast Alaska at the outbreak of World War II. He served as navigator on board the Juneau-based cutter Haida with the defense forces in the Aleutian Islands. Additionally, Ellis served as the assistant captain of the port at Ketchikan from February 1942 to February 1943.

A funeral ceremony honoring Ellis is scheduled for March 6 at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.

Fred E. Webster

Former Juneau resident Fred E. Webster died Feb. 17, 2001, in Anchorage while working on the Tustumena, an Alaska Marine Highway System ship.

He was born April 22, 1958, in Seattle and attended Evergreen High School. He joined the Coast Guard in 1975. He was a Plank Owner (original crew member) on the Polar Star ice breaker. He was awarded several certificates and medals, including a 4-knot sailor (crossing all four points of the earth), and expert marksman. After four years of exemplary service he was honorably discharged and continued his seamanship career with the Alaska Marine Highway System. He lived in Juneau from 1979 to 1985.

His friends wrote that he was a true sailor, well-liked and respected by his peers. He was a man of his word and always dependable. His interests included music, fishing, reading and traveling. His most cherished accomplishments were his children Tyler and Lynsey.

He was preceded in death by his mother, Darlene Webster, and his grandmother, Sylvia Stinson. He is survived by his wife, Linda Webster of Anchorage, his children, Tyler and Lynsey Webster of Tonopah Ariz., and their mother, Lete Meyers, stepchildren Lisa and Christopher Krause, his family of shipmates on the Tustumena and a multitude of friends on the Alaska Marine Highway, and friends throughout Alaska, Seattle, Oregon and beyond.

Services are pending in several locations.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us