Juneau hoop teams arrive in Ketchikan, but luggage doesn't

Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003

KETCHIKAN - The Juneau-Douglas boys and girls basketball teams finally made it to Ketchikan on Thursday afternoon.

Their luggage didn't.

The Crimson Bears were originally scheduled to leave Juneau on an early-morning flight Thursday, but it was canceled due to the snow.

There was a flight to Seattle that was heading out in the afternoon, but the teams were told it would not stop in Ketchikan.

But after some wheeling and dealing with the airline, the itinerary was revised to add a refueling stop in Ketchikan, and the teams got on the plane - sans bags.

Due to weight restrictions, the Bears' luggage had to be left off the plane - as did 20 other passengers. Alaska Airlines let the teams have access to their checked bags to grab uniforms and other game necessities so they could play.

The bags with the rest of their belongings had not arrived as of Thursday night.

Ketchikan did not get as big a dump of snow as Juneau did from the storm, but that didn't make travel any easier on Wednesday.

Several inches fell around midday Wednesday, making the steep drive or walk up to the high school treacherous at best. The snow changed to a driving rain in the evening, and gusty winds drove up temperatures into the upper 40s by Thursday morning.

Clinton Cook, 10, of Craig won $300 by sinking a free throw at halftime of the Wrangell-Craig boys game Thursday.

Cook won the chance in a raffle drawing. He missed his first shot, but a chanting crowd convinced organizers to give him another try.

He sank that attempt, leading to a victory dance in the middle of the court and drawing wild cheers from the crowd.

The Juneau-Douglas High School dance team performed twice on Thursday, treating fans to a hip-hop routine early in the day, then putting on its renowned light show at the halftime of the Wrangell-Craig boys game for a very appreciative audience.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us