A total of 110 awards from 51 donors were given to 74 student competitors at the 2010 Southeast Alaska Regional Science Fair, held March 12 to 14 in Juneau.
Total monetary awards for the fair this year was $3,875, not including prizes.
Science fair finalists
• Ian Andrews and Fiona Brown for "How Does Tissue Storage Environment Affect DNA Stability"
• Auriel Clark and Lindsay Clark for "How Beach Sediment Composition and Tidal Level Affect the Size and Age Composition of Butter Clams"
• Deedré Deaton for "Bacterial and Fungal Diversity in Cedar-Dominated Stands in Southeast Alaska"
• Lia Domke for "The Effects of Temperature and pH on Metabolic Rate of Blue King Crabs"
• Thomas Parker for "How Type of Marine Lipid Affects Energy Density"
• Haila Schultz for "How Substrate Type Affects the Shell Color of Lined Chitons"
• Linsey Tomaro and Pauline Zheng for "Effects of Reduced pH on Euphausiids - Implications for Ocean Acidification"
• Colin Zheng for "The Effects of Seawater pH on Kelp Egg Development" Advancing to the Intel International Fair this year:
• Lia Domke; Colin Zheng; Auriel Clark and Lindsay Clark; and Ian Andrews and Fiona Brown. Selected local awards: 2010 People's Choice Award: Lia Domke, Erin Gaffaney, Zander Hoke, Derec Steinman. Coeur Alaska 3rd and 4th Year: Lindsay Clark, Linsey Tomaro, Whitney Walker, Pauline Zheng. Alaska Science Consortium: Jade Cook and Alexis Grieser, Deedré Deaton, Chelsea Peterson, Hailey Quinto. Alaska Science Teacher's Association: Jade Cook and Alexis Grieser, Selene Smith. American Chemical Society: Evan Carnahan, Zander Hoke. Audubon Society: Gelsey Carmichael, Brian Kenyon, Asia Moreno-Goodwin and Marlena Sloss, Colin Zheng. DIPAC Fisheries Science Award: Marc Heifetz. Fred Eastaugh Award: Randon Calderwood, Lana Swanson, Riley Westfall. Greens Creek Mining Co.: Ashlynn Kay, Kaitelyn McDonald, Kathleen Strehler. UAS, $4,000 scholarship: Riley Westfall.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.