Woman and son burned out of van home


Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003

JUNEAU - A woman and her son were burned out of their van and makeshift home over the weekend when the engine compartment caught fire.

Around 2:50 p.m. Saturday, Capital City Fire and Rescue was called to Shaune Drive where Yumi Radtke had parked their van.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze that engulfed the engine, but the van was a total loss, Capt. Jerry Godkin said.

The woman and her son, Godkin said, lived in the van and at the AWARE shelter. Firefighters helped the woman get her belongings to the shelter for storage.

Anyone wanting to help Radtke can make donations in care of the AWARE shelter. Call 586-6623 for further information.

Related Searches


Trending this week:


Juneau Empire © 2016. All Rights Reserved.  Terms of Service | Privacy Policy / About Our Ads