Clarification: Tax returns

Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002


An article in the March 13 Empire on filing tax returns said that "any person who has earned income in a calendar year is required to file a federal income tax return."

Richard Earl, an enrolled agent with H&R Block, pointed out that the subject is more complex: "A person must file a return if his gross income is above the minimum amount for his filing status, of if he has net earnings from self-employment of at least $400, or if he owes special taxes such as Social Security and Medicare taxes on unreported tips, tax on a qualified retirement plan, etc.

"There are situations where a person has no 'earned income' but will still be required to file. And conversely, there will be situations when a person does have earned income below a certain amount but is not required to file a return."

Related Searches


Trending this week:


Juneau Empire © 2016. All Rights Reserved.  Terms of Service | Privacy Policy / About Our Ads