Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2001

Ex-airport manager seeks Colorado job

JUNEAU - Former airport manager David Miller of Juneau is being considered for the airport manager's job in Montrose, Colo.

Montrose is a community of 13,000 surrounded by 14,000-foot peaks. The airport manager's salary is $55,000 to $60,00 annually, said Nancy Eloe, human resources director for Montrose County. The airport is served by American West, Continental and American Airlines, with about 10 flights a day.

"We like Mr. Miller very much," Eloe said. Miller is one of two finalists for the position, both of whom have gone to Montrose for interviews. The other is from the Denver area, she said. She anticipated a final decision within a couple of weeks.

Miller was Juneau Airport manager from March 1995 until he resigned on Nov. 5,1999, after he was given a vote of no confidence by the airport board. Allan Heese served as acting manager from Nov. 8, 1999, until he was appointed manager on May 22, 2000.

Miller could not be reached for comment.

Driver makes plea to murder charge

ANCHORAGE - A 35-year-old Anchorage man pleaded no contest to second-degree murder and assault Monday in a crash that killed two young boys and injured their grandparents last July.

Robert Richardson could be sentenced to life in prison for the crimes.

Richardson's blood alcohol level was 0.175, well above the legal limit for drivers of 0.10, when his pickup truck crossed the center line at Mile 1.3 of Portage Glacier Road July 12, according to Alaska State Troopers. It was Richardson's first drunken driving charge.

Kevin D. Blake, 15, of Tatitlek and Kenneth Kramer, 11, of Wasilla were killed in the crash. Troopers said Blake was driving the car, with his grandfather beside him.

The boys' grandparents, David Glasen, 61, and Patsy Glasen, 57, of Tatitlek were ejected from the car. David Glasen suffered head injuries and a broken hip. Patsy Glasen suffered head injuries.

Aleutian volcano spews ash 30K feet

ANCHORAGE - The Cleveland Volcano in the Aleutians erupted again Monday, sending an ash cloud as high as 30,000 feet that drifted 125 miles from the mountain, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory. The explosive eruption was detected by a satellite about 2:30 p.m.

An observer in the nearby village of Nikolski saw a strong haze from the ash, but no ashfall was reported there, the observatory said. The ash cloud was drifting east and southeast from the mountain.

It was the third eruption for the 5,675-foot volcano in a month. The peak is about 140 miles southwest of Dutch Harbor.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us