Sitka edges Juneau in M Bracket

Klawock tops Klukwan late Monday night

Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tuesday's M Bracket opener was a game of runs, with both teams holding double-digit leads before trading buckets down the stretch and the Sitka Moose edging the Juneau Old-Timers 67-65 to advance to Thursday's semifinal round.

Klas Stolpe / Juneau Empire
Klas Stolpe / Juneau Empire

There two ties and six lead changes in the game's opening minutes, with the Old-Timers breaking an 11-11 tie with a 10-1 run to take a 21-12 lead at the midway point of the first half.

Juneau pulled ahead by as many as 13, 31-18, before Sitka closed with a 9-3 run before the half. Steve Edenshaw hit two 3-pointers to account for six of the points, cutting the Old-Timer's lead to 7, 34-27, at the break.

Juneau pulled back ahead by eight, 36-28, but Sitka answered with a 15-2 run to retake the lead.

Mark Whithington scored an old-fashioned 3-point play before making a hook shot, followed by 3-pointers from Edenshaw and Bill Trivett. A George Erickson score made it 43-38, Sitka.

Another 7-0 spurt for Sitka put the Moose ahead by double digits, 50-40, but the Old-Timers had another run left in them, rallying back into the lead with a 12-0 run of its own.

The teams traded leads six times over the final three minutes and Juneau's Steve Olmstead had a chance to tie the game with 10.6 seconds to go with three free throws, but was only able to make two.

After Erickson missed the front end of a 1-and-1 at the other end, the Old-Timers had one last shot with 8.8 seconds remaining, but Sitka's Harry Bradley came up with a steal and was fouled with 2.7 seconds left, and Phil Paramore's shot under the basket at the buzzer to tie missed off the back iron.

Mark Withington led Sitka with 18 points, while Edenshaw had 17 and Erickson 13.

Olmstead led Juneau with 14 points, while Steve Brandner had 12 and Mike Gary Davis 10.

Klawock tops Klukwan

Klawock held on to beat Klukwan 69-64 in Monday's late-night, M Bracket game in a wild contest of back-and-forth action.

Klawock took control early, leading 12-2 after back-to-back 3-pointers by Syd Edenshaw, only to see Klukwan slowly chip away the rest of the half, trailing by seven, 37-30, at the break after closing with a 6-2 spurt.

Frank Coronell made a nifty up-and-under move, followed by a tough lay-up for Roger Calloway just before the buzzer.

Down 44-38, Klukwan scored six straight to tie things up at 44-44. Calloway netted back-to-back buckets before two free throws from Larry Sweet at the 12:49 mark.

There were three ties and eight lead changes over the final 12-plus minutes, with neither team able to seize control for good until Edenshaw scored inside and then stole the ball, setting up a deuce for Same Peters, giving Klawock a 64-62 advantage with about two minutes to go, a lead it never relinquished.

Peters' 31 points for Klawock led all scorers, while Edenshaw had 28.

Rob LaRose scored 21 points to lead Klukwan, while Calloway and Joe Parnell each scored 14.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us