Kake crushes Klukwan to advance

Sitka stops Hoonah in other C Bracket action

Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010

Kake came out against Klukwan and left little doubt as to which team was going to advance Thursday afternoon in C Bracket action.

Back | Next
Michael Penn / Juneau Empire
Michael Penn / Juneau Empire

Leading 42-27 at halftime, Kake stormed into the second half with a 17-2 run to put the game away and secure an 81-68 victory.

The 17-2 run put Kake up by 30 points, 59-29, and they held off a late Klukwan push to stay alive in Gold Medal Tournament play.

Rudy Bean led all scorers once again with 28 points, but left the game early with a safe lead in the second half.

Kake's offense was clicking on all cylinders, and Klukwan could not keep up with the up-tempo pace. Kake was able to convert on basket after basket in transition, and their running game in the open court had Klukwan players visibly fatigued.

After falling behind by 30 points, Klukwan closed the game on a 39-21 run to make the game respectable. Chris Wassman led the way for Klukwan with 21 points.

Klukwan was overmatched from the start as they had no answer for Bean and the rest of the Kake offense. Jay Peterson and Lloyd Davis contributed 15 and 13 points, respectively, and the team went 16-for-19 from the free throw line.

Klukwan was 10-for-17 from the line and was unable to get consistent scoring until the game got out of hand.

Frank Tompkins and Jeff Sharinbroich were the only other Klukwan players in double figures. Tompkins pitched in 15 points, and Sharinbroich got 11 points.

Sitka tops Hoonah in hotly

Contested affair

Thursday night action started with a heated battle between C Bracket competitors in a 91-84 Sitka victory over Hoonah.

Sitka overcame a 10-point deficit in the second half to hold off Hoonah in the final minutes to advance in the Gold Medal Tournament.

With 5:55 remaining in the game, Sitka took their first lead since early in the first half on a Michael Mills lay-up and never relinquished the lead as they were able to contain Hoonah's Kamal Lindoff and capitalize on free throw opportunities down the stretch.

Lindoff had 38 points for Hoonah who was able to tie the game at 78 once more before falling behind for good.

For Sitka, 21 of Rich Krupa's 32 points came in the second half as he led his squad to a second-half comeback victory.

With less than 10 minutes remaining in the game and Sitka trailing by 10, Ed Mercer III hit a 3-pointer and followed it up with a lay-up to cut the lead in half. Mills drove in for a lay-up moments later, and Mercer III made one of two from the line to finish an 8-0 run and set the stage for the comeback win.

Hoonah controlled the game for the entire first half and into the second, but Krupa's scoring and distributing carried Sitka.

Lindoff's effort was commendable, but his supporting cast did not get the job done in the second half. After the break, Lindoff scored 19 points while his teammates only pitched in 16 total.

With less than 10 minutes left in the first half, Hoonah opened a double-digit lead at 43-29, and took a seven-point, 49-42, lead into halftime.

Albert Hinchman was the second-leading scorer for Hoonah with 16 points, and Showalter Martin pitched in 14. Steven Fields was their fourth player in double digits for Hoonah with 11 points.

Five players scored in double figures for Sitka. Behind Krupa's 32, Sean Joslyn had 19 points, and Jim Carson was third with 11. Mercer III and Mills each had 10 points.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us