Alaska Digest

Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007

Juneau man accused of assault with knife

Sound off on the important issues at

JUNEAU - A 32-year-old Juneau man was arrested Friday night after being accused of wielding a knife on the second floor of a downtown hotel and chasing an employee who was checking on him.

Roy Guthrie was charged with felony assault. He was lodged at Lemon Creek Correctional Center without bail.

The employee had checked on the man at 11:25 p.m., after being asked to by a patron of the hotel. The man became hostile and started yelling profanities, police said. Then he chased the employee.

When police questioned the man, they found him to be in possession of a knife that matched the description of the one used in the threat.

Vehicle stolen, set on fire in N. Douglas

JUNEAU - A vehicle was stolen then set ablaze in the 8000 block of North Douglas Highway on Friday night, the third such arson in less than a week.

Juneau police said it is unknown if this arson is related to the two previous vehicles arsons on March 25 in downtown Juneau, and they are continuing their investigations.

At 9:15 p.m. Friday, a 911 caller reported a vehicle that appeared to be unoccupied, engulfed in flames. Investigators learned the 1989 Ford Taurus had been stolen from the Mendenhall Valley, driven to North Douglas Highway, then burned. Additional information was unavailable Saturday.

Police to investigate death of 4-month-old

JUNEAU - A 4-month-old infant stopped breathing Thursday afternoon at a day care in the 3700 block of Sanders Street, Juneau police said.

Police could not be reached to say whether the death is considered suspicious; all unexpected deaths are investigated as part of police policy.

The 911 call came in at 1:43 p.m. on Thursday. The infant was treated by paramedics and flown to Providence Hospital in Anchorage, where the infant was pronounced dead. Additional information was not available Saturday.

Man injured when fuel tank explodes

WASILLA - An employee of a fuel company was seriously injured when a fuel tank he was working on exploded.

Mike Sharp of Big Lake was working on an empty tank Friday when, most likely, a static charge ignited fuel vapors, said Brad Fisher, part owner of Fisher's Fuels.

"We really don't know that for sure but there was no other possibilities," Fisher said. Sharp was not welding or using power tools at the time.

He was taken by ambulance to the Mat-Su Regional Medical Center for burns, a facial laceration and a dislocated shoulder.

Hospital spokeswoman Elizabeth Ripley said he was later transferred to another hospital but declined to elaborate.

Fisher said Sharp was in a garage, working on top of the 7,000-gallon tanker trailer, the type usually pulled behind tanker trucks.

He was replacing overflow sensors when the tank blew up. It had most recently been used to haul fuel oil, Fisher said.

The explosion punched an 8-foot hole in the roof of the garage, Fisher said. Between the tank and the roof, his company is likely out $80,000.

"It's the nature of the beast, I guess, with fuel oil. ... Accidents can happen," Fisher said.

Trending this week:


© 2017. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us