Looking for a lost, forgotten recipe, or wish you had recipe? Ask Auntie Emo and let our readers help.
F.K., of Ketchikan, is still looking for your cabbage recipe.
PICK OF THE WEEK:,/b>
This is a very simple, delicious side dish, especially when served with ham or port. It has become a family favorite.
Easy pineapple casserole
¼ cup butter, room temperature ¾ cup sugar 4 eggs 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained 5 slices bread (your choice), cubed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until combined. Add pineapple and bread cubes and stir just enough to coat.
3. Place in greased casserole dish.
4. Bake for one hour. Serve
Yields 4-6 servings.
Our April challenge is eggs and/or ham. What do you do with all those Easter left-over eggs and ham? Send in your favorite recipe and let us share them with our readers, or let's "Hatch" some new one!
We received a response in our comments from C. A. of Juneau responding to B.C. of Juneau request for a lost Crock-pot Chicken with Shrimp Cacciatore, thanks for your response, keep them coming!
Crock-pot Chicken with Shrimp Cacciatore
1 large onion, thinly sliced 1½ pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp 2 (6-ounce each) cans tomato paste 8-ounce fresh sliced mushrooms ½ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon pepper 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 teaspoon oregano ½ teaspoon basil 1 bay leaf ¼ cup dry white wine ¼ cup water
1. Put sliced onion in bottom of crock pot. Add chicken pieces. Stir together tomato paste, mushroom, salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, white wine and water. Spread over chicken. Cover cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
2. Add cooked shrimp and cook additional 30 minutes or until heated through.
3. Serve over hot spaghetti or vermicelli. Serves 4.
Ask Auntie Emo, coordinated and created by Emo Bylund, of Ketchikan, is a semimonthly feature in Neighbors that includes sought-out and shared recipes from Southeast Alaska. To send in challenges, recipes or photos, write to Ask Auntie Emo, 186 Marblehead Lane, Ketchikan, AK 99801, or to email@example.com. If you are responding to a requested recipe, include the publication date and author of the original recipe request. Submissions must include name, telephone number and city of residence. Only initials and city of residency will be published.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.