In 1901, the first regularly constituted common council of the town of Nome was organized in the courthouse.
In 1944, the Odd Fellows Hall, a Nome landmark, was destroyed by fire.
In 1959, the Detroit '59'ers canceled plans to settle on homesteads on the Kenai Peninsula, and traveled to sites in Susitna and Fairbanks instead. Their trip began March 5, from Detroit, Mich., with 15 vehicles and more than 50 people.
In 1959, Gov. Bill Egan arrived back in Juneau after emergency gall bladder surgery in Seattle. He had been hospitalized within hours of his inauguration.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.