Boys' soccer Bears complete sweep

Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010

Early-season success for the Juneau-Douglas boys' soccer team continued Friday as the Crimson Bears beat West Valley 3-2 to send them back to Fairbanks winless on the weekend.

"I liked the way we played. We played a lot faster than yesterday," said forward Andy Lawson. "We were under control and we came out with a good win."

In the 48th minute, Lawson made a run down the center of the field with defenders on his back, and it was between he and the goalie.

Lawson managed to side-step the oncoming goalkeeper in the box and fire a shot into the goal for the eventual game-winning score.

Though the Bears (5-0-1) were victorious, it was a tightly-contested match the whole way.

With just more than seven minutes remaining in the first half, the Crimson Bears led 2-0 in a game that had been all JDHS up to that point.

At the 33-minute mark, West Valley's Nicholas Joehill scored off of a give-and-go with teammate Luke Carson to make the score 2-1 with just more than five minutes remaining in the first half.

"Thursday, we didn't get off to a very good start, so that was one of our goals, to do that," Bears coach Gary Lehnhart said. "When we did that, we scored twice in ten minutes. I think we settled in and got comfortable.

"To their credit, they kept playing," he continued. "They had two really good individual efforts there right before the end of the first half."

After the flurry of Wolfpack goals to close the opening half, Lehnhart said the Bears responded with a great effort in the second half, especially on the defensive end.

"I was worried about how we'd respond. I thought we came out and started the second half almost like we did the first half," he said. "Our defense shut them out in the second half. We could have put the game away with a few misses there. We had a lot of balls in around goal, which is good."

With only minutes remaining in the first half, Carson fired a shot that hit the bar, then rolled into the left side of the goal.

Within three minutes, Carson scored another goal after a rebound from a deflected shot on goal.

The Bears managed six shots on goal and kept the pressure on the Wolfpack all night.

The Crimson Bears were without the services of forward Victor Wilson for the evening after suffering an ankle injury in a friendly against Whitehorse last weekend. Wilson said he expects to play when the team hits the road to play Eagle River April 23.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us