Two Juneau residents - a woman and a 17-year-old boy - were ordered held in the Lemon Creek Correctional Center on first-degree armed robbery charges Wednesday.
Bail was set at $20,000 for both Elizabeth F. Sosa-Flores, 45, and Ricardo C. Contreras, who were arrested by Juneau police early Wednesday in connection with a crime prosecutors allege was planned and practiced.
Because the charges are in the most serious classification of felonies, state law allows Contreras to be waived to adult court automatically.
Police reported Wednesday that a 64-year-old man claimed he was held up at gunpoint Monday night at Cope Park near the Governor's Mansion. The victim said that Sosa-Flores had contacted him an hour earlier and asked to meet her at Cope park to loan her money.
The victim reported that Sosa-Flores said her car was overheating and she couldn't drive it. After he checked under the hood, a man wearing a bandana came out of the woods, pointed a revolver at him and demanded his wallet, according to his report.
He told officers the robber headed back into the woods with his wallet, which held about $300 and credit and debit cards. Although he described the robber as being in his mid-30s, the charges allege it was Contreras.
According to court records, the victim called police Tuesday after calling his bank to report the theft. He was informed of a $48 charge at a liquor store and a $186.66 charge at a restaurant. Both a liquor store clerk and a restaurant hostess were shown pictures of Sosa-Flores and identified her as one of the people involved in the purchases.
Shortly before 11 p.m. Tuesday, police stopped a vehicle carrying Sosa-Flores and Contreras on Egan Drive and took the two in for questioning, court records show.
According to the documents, the investigation concluded that the pair rehearsed the robbery with a third person who was not initially charged.
Police reported the investigation is continuing.
Juneau District Magistrate John W. Sivertsen Jr. said Tuesday that if either Sosa-Flores or Contreras posts bail, they will be required to have approved third-party supervision to get out of jail.
Sosa-Flores had been scheduled to appear Wednesday in Juneau Superior Court on a previous burglary charge. Assistant District Attorney Doug Gardner said a scheduled hearing to enter a change of plea on that first-degree burglary charge was postponed.
The earlier charge alleges she unlawfully entered a Juneau hotel room with the intent to commit theft.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us