JDHS roars past Ketchikan

Bears extend unbeaten streak to six with pair of victories over the Kings

Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Juneau-Douglas High School boys soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to six games with a pair of shutout victories at Ketchikan High School.

Sound off on the important issues at

The Crimson Bears (4-1-3) upended the Kings 7-0 on Friday and followed up with a 6-0 win on Saturday.

"The offense came together nicely," JDHS coach Gary Lehnhart said. "Instead of direct attacking, we worked on trying to put a string of things together. There were a lot of different (players getting) assists, so that's a good sign."

Juneau-Douglas closed in on the Southeast Conference championship and a trip to the state tournament with the two victories. The Bears need at least a tie on May 18 or 19 against the Kings to seal the title.

On Saturday, JDHS received two goals and one assist each from Dominic Smith and Colin Flynn in the victory.

Aaron Badilla and Isaac Stark also scored, while Joe Croteau had two assists, and Sam Greeley contributed one assist.

Web link

For more pictures of the Crimson Bears, check out spotted.juneauempire.com.

Juneau scored twice in the first three minutes of play and seized a 3-0 lead.

JDHS outshot Ketchikan 16-4 in the win as Crimson Bears goaltenders Sam Post and Gus Browning combined to make three saves in the win.

Juneau-Douglas played shorthanded a bit as starting center fullback, Carlo Ebron, injured his toe on Friday.

"They did really well," Lehnhart said. "Even (Saturday), to play without Carlo, who's the heart and soul of the defense, Tuavao Maake stepped in and did a great job."

The Bears didn't leave the game unscathed, however, as Zach Farrington received a red card and will miss Juneau's April 27 home contest against East Anchorage.

Lehnhart said Saturday's game was beautifully officiated by Saturday's referee. Friday's contest, however, appeared to be a different story from Lehnhart's point of view as a number of cards issued to his team left him "flabbergasted."

Friday's referee, who served as a linesman on Saturday according to Lehnhart, booked Juneau for five yellow cards in the first half alone.

"I don't know if we've gotten five yellow cards in an entire season," Lehnhart said. "I was just flabbergasted. It was a mystery. ... The game was clean. There were almost no physical confrontations. The game was being called in a different manner, and we were facing an obstacle."

Lehnhart said he was proud of how his team dealt Friday's circumstances.

"That's the thing I'm most proud about, not the score, but the guys decided they can look beyond the short term and see a long term and not have to be right," Lehnhart said.

As for the game, Juneau-Douglas scored early and cruised to victory.

Andrew Flansaas scored in the first minute off Cary Kelly's assist. Elliott Ford and Smith added goals to put JDHS ahead 3-0 at the half.

Badilla scored twice while Greeley and Croteau added goals after halftime in the win. Flynn, Maake, Jesse West, Nathan Ord and Joe Slagle had assists for JDHS.

Post made one save to preserve the shutout as the Crimson Bears outshot the Kings 19-3.

"I told them (at halftime of Friday's game) I wanted not one word, not a comment in the entire second half, and do your best staying away from any issue," Lehnhart said. "And they did. I couldn't have been prouder of them."

JDHS will host the East Anchorage High School Thunderbirds on April 27-28.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us