Outdoors Digest

staff reports

Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005

Forest conservation grants available

The Alaska Department of Natural Resources Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation is accepting applications for 2007 Alaska Forest Legacy Program grants.

The Alaska Forest Legacy Program, using U.S. Forest Service funds, will cover up to 75 percent of the costs of a conservation easement or fee-title purchase on forested land. The landowner or an assisting entity, such as a nonprofit organization or nonfederal government agency, must match the other 25 percent.

Environmentally important forest lands threatened with conversion to nonforest use, such as a residential subdivision or commercial development, are eligible for FLP grants. The Forest Legacy Program allows continued use of regular forest activities, such as timber harvesting, hunting, fishing, recreation and other traditional uses.

In order to be eligible, land must be within a Forest Legacy Area, as set forth in the Alaska Forest Legacy Program assessment of need, and must meet state and national criteria. Also, a government agency, local, state or federal, must be willing to take title to and manage either the land or the conservation easement.

The Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation, working in conjunction with the U.S. Forest Service, is the lead state agency for Alaska's Forest Legacy program. Parcels are evaluated and prioritized for inclusion in the program based on the application and associated materials provided by the applicant. The actual grant cannot be guaranteed or issued for approximately 20-24 months after the application deadline.

Applications must be received by July 31. The Alaska Forest Legacy Program Assessment of Need and FLP Application are available electronically at www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/grants/. Contact Tina Long, Alaska FLP State Coordinator, at (907) 269-8709 for further information.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING