ANCHORAGE - A bald eagle known as One Wing, which survived the Exxon Valdez oil spill, died.
One Wing lived at the Bird Treatment and Learning Center in Anchorage. A veterinarian who performed a necropsy said a tumor was found on One Wing's heart and he died quickly.
The bird was called One Wing because when he was poisoned by crude in the 1989 spill in Prince William Sound, he fought rescuers so hard he tore up his wing beating it against the ground. The wing had to be amputated and the bird was not expected to survive.
But he did. One Wing lived at the center for nearly 20 years.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.