http://racerealty.com/

Smoke prompts senior center evacuation

Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008

JUNEAU - The Mountain View Apartments and Juneau Senior Center on 12th Street downtown were evacuated Tuesday night by emergency personnel due to smoke.

About 30 to 40 people were evacuated from the four-story building and sheltered in the Harborview Elementary School gymnasium at about 8:30 p.m., as firefighters investigated the source of smoke that spread through the first floor and ventilation system.

No one was injured.

A burned-up blower motor in the ventilation duct system appeared to be the cause of the smoke, said incident commander John George, a fire training officer with Capital City Fire and Rescue.

"The evacuation went pretty orderly considering some of the folks were not ambulatory," George said.

Juneau police and firefighters in training assisted with the evacuation.

Two ladder trucks, one engine, two ambulances and about 21 firefighters responded.

Residents were allowed back inside at about 9 p.m.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-523-2295
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2270
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING