Alaska Digest

staff and Wire reports

Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004

Seattle man arrested on drug charges

JUNEAU - Bail for a Seattle man was set $10,000 after his Tuesday night arrest on a felony drug charge.

James A. Jackson, 23, appeared Wednesday in Juneau District Court on a single count of third-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance.

He departed his flight from Seattle at the Juneau airport at about 10:30 p.m., Alaska State Troopers reported. Officers from the Southeast Alaska Narcotic Enforcement Team stopped him as a result of an investigation, according to court records.

Troopers reported that SEANET officers found 196 grams - about 6 ounces - of methamphetamine in Jackson's possession.

Student treated for hypothermia

JUNEAU - A Juneau student was treated for hypothermia after plunging into waters near the Herbert Glacier on Friday afternoon, authorities said.

Capital City Fire and Rescue officials said federal law prohibits them from revealing the student's name, age or sex, but they described the student as a pre-teen.

Authorities said the student was part of a school outing at the headwaters of the Herbert River. Rescuers were called at 4:30 p.m. after an adult hiked to the road system to report the incident. The adult and students provided initial treatment.

Rescuers and medical personnel flew to the scene in a TEMSCO helicopter. The student was able to walk and was treated for hypothermia and released to her parents in good condition, authorities said.

Searchers find climber's cache

ANCHORAGE - Searchers on Saturday found a cache belonging to a man overdue after attempting a solo climb of Mount Sanford.

Jason Harper, 28, set out May 4 to climb the 16,237-foot peak in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.

Harper was dropped off at Windy Ridge on the slopes of Mount Sanford by McMahan Guide and Flying Services in Gakona. The area is at the 3,000-foot level, about 20 miles northwest of the summit. Harper carried 40 pounds of food, skis and climbing gear, but no tent.

When pilot Harley McMahan returned May 9 to pick up Harper, he was not at the designated spot, according to the National Park Service.

Ground searchers Saturday discovered a cache of supplies, probably associated with a camp, that Harper left on Sheep Glacier. The cache was below an ice fall, said National Park Service spokesman Smitty Parratt.

Harper apparently did not return to the spot after caching the supplies, Parratt said, indicating he may be above the cache.

It's also possible that he became lost and veered off his planned route, Parratt said. Harper planned to climb Sheep Glacier to the summit and return in five days.

Searchers have been challenged by the size of the search area. From the drop-off, it's about 20 miles to the summit over a vertical climb of 12,000 feet.

Two climbing parties, one above the ice fall and one below, are spending the night on the mountain. Two helicopters also looked for Harper on Saturday, and dogs and handlers searched where he was dropped off.

Murder suspect charged with assaulting trooper

ANCHORAGE - A man charged with killing a 20-year-old woman for her truck and bank account is accused of assaulting an Alaska State Trooper Judicial Services officer.

Peter Andrews, 20, is in jail on charges of murdering Rachael Peace, who was strangled to death on Aug. 8, 2002, in her apartment.

On Friday, Andrews was scheduled to enter a no-contest plea in Superior Court. While being prepared for transport by court security officers, Andrews rammed officer Brad Zimmerman in the face with his elbow, breaking Zimmerman's glasses and cutting his cheek, Alaska State Troopers spokesman Greg Wilkinson said.

Andrews was restrained and locked down; Zimmerman was treated at the Providence Alaska Medical Center emergency room and released, Wilkinson said.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us