Alaska Digest

Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007

False fire alarm atDimond Courthouse

Sound off on the important issues at

JUNEAU - Firefighters searched Dimond Courthouse on Monday morning after a fire alarm went off, but they found no evidence of smoke or fire.

The firefighters investigated the facility along with the building crew after the call came in at about 10:20 a.m, Division Chief of Operations Martin Beckner said.

Anchorage man charged in death

ANCHORAGE - A 23-year-old Anchorage man was charged Monday with second-degree murder following a fatal shooting.

Josiah Darroux is accused of killing James Brink, 30, on Sunday, Anchorage Police Lt. Paul Honeman said in a statement.

According to police, Brink's 24-year-old cousin was dating Darroux. The couple apparently had an argument Sunday before he dropped her off at Brink's apartment for a barbecue.

When he stopped to pick her up Sunday night, police say Brink confronted Darroux about the earlier argument.

The two men began to argue, which escalated into a physical fight, but it broke up and Darroux left.

He was backing out of an apartment driveway when Brink and his cousin approached. Darroux pulled a shotgun from the trunk and shot Brink in the chest, Honeman said.

Brink was taken to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries.

5 Fort Richardson paratroopers killed

ANCHORAGE - Five paratroopers from Fort Richardson were killed last week in three separate attacks, an Army official said Monday.

On Friday, two paratroopers were killed by small arms fire, but in different incidents. Those deaths came a day after three Fort Richardson soldiers were killed when a roadside bomb exploded near their vehicle in Iskandariya.

The two small arms fire deaths were announced Monday.

One paratrooper, whose identity has not been released, died from wounds suffered in Hamiuah.

The other soldier, Sgt. Ryan Baum, 27, of Aurora, Colo., died from wounds he suffered in Karmah, U.S. Army Alaska spokesman Capt. Richard C. Hyde said.

Both Baum and the unidentified soldier were assigned to the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division. Baum was assigned to Fort Richardson in June 2005.

Army officials also on Monday identified the three soldiers who died Thursday in the bombing incident as:

• Spc. Coty Phelps, 21, of Kingman, Ariz. Phelps was a paralegal who joined the Army in September 2004, and was stationed in Alaska a year later.

• Staff Sgt. Jesse B. Albrecht, 31, of Hager City, Wis. He was a motor transport operator who joined the Army in June 1993 and was assigned to the Alaska base in September 2005.

• Pfc. Victor M. Fontanilla, 23, of Stockton, Calif. He also was a motor transport operator who joined the Army in October 2005 and was assigned to Fort Richardson the following April.

A fourth soldier was injured and was transported to the 28th Combat Support Hospital in Iraq, Hyde said.

Albrecht and Fontanilla were assigned to Echo Company, 725th Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division. Phelps was assigned to division's Headquarters Company.

The 3,500-member brigade deployed last fall; since then, 39 paratroopers have been killed, Hyde said.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us