• Elite spring cleaning - The Juneau Cheer Club is offering cleaning services for driveways and yards. All jobs big or small deserve a call. Services will be offered throughout the spring during weekends and after-school hours. For more information contact Monica Casipit at 790-3099.
• Sailing lessons - Join the fun in downtown Juneau for beginners to advanced sailors. Half-day classes starting each week from June 15-Aug 3 for ages 10-18, weekend classes for adults. We are a USSailing certified, non-profit group with 20 hour classes starting at $135. We provide everything except your life vest. Or join the Youth Race Team. Sign up online at www.juneauyouthsailinginc.org.
• Juneau Special Olympics volunteers needed - Special Olympics Alaska is run wholeheartedly by volunteers. The group is seeking key volunteers to ensure that the sports training and competition program continues for the more than 50 people with intellectual disabilities who participate in Juneau. Volunteer positions are needed in leadership, development, fundraising, sport specific areas, and communication. For more information contact Nicolle Egan at 1-888-499-7625 ext 629 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Coed softball registration open - Registration for the 2009 coed softball tournament is now open until May 22 at 5 p.m. Scorekeepers are also needed for the tournament. Scorekeeper training is also available. For more information, please contact the Juneau Softball Association at 463-3633 or email@example.com.
• Juneau Parks and Recreation summer sports registration - Youth outdoor soccer for youth ages 5-18, Start Smart Soccer Program for youth ages 3-4 and the Thunder Mt. Sports Camps for youth ages 5-18 registration begins on Saturday, May 9, 2009 at the Nugget Mall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Registration will continue for two-weeks, and then space available, for the league/Start Smart and through the week before each camp. Forms and more information can be found on the Parks & Recreation site: www.juneau.org/parkrec/youth/youthsports.php. More information, contact Myiia Whistler at 586-5226 or Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us.
• Ladies Golf Association - The LowTide Ladies Golf Association will start its season with a shotgun start at 6 p.m. at the Mendenhall Golf Course. Organizers are looking for women interested in playing golf. No prior experience is necessary to participate. Clubs and carts can be rented at the course. Participants will play every Thursday at 6 p.m. through August 20. Golfers should contact the course if weather is questionable. For more information, please contact the Mendenhall Golf Course at 789-1221, Donna Schultz at 789-3996 or Lynne Gregg at 790-1960.
• Tuesday Night Best Ball Golf League - The Mendenhall Golf Course will host the Tuesday Night Best Ball Golf League beginning May 5 and running through September. The league is a fun golf night for men and women of all golfing skill levels. Each Tuesday every person is randomly selected to form a team to play a best-ball format.
Players pay green fees and a $5 weekly entry fee. Prizes will be awarded at season's end. Register at the course, or just join us on any Tuesday night.
Start time is 6 p.m. Come out, enjoy the game and meet other golfers. For more information, contact Mike Strasser at 463-1252.
• Adult soccer leagues - Men's and Women's competitive leagues start June 21st and run through August. Team registrations due May 31st. Team Sponsor Fee $400 and player fee $45. Classic Women's League starts June 22nd and runs through August. Registrations due June 15th. Cost $50. Registration information at www.juneausoccer.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
• 4H running club - The 4H Running club meets each Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. at a different Juneau trail each week. Kids in 3rd grade through middle school are welcome to attend and parents are encouraged to run as well. A $6.00 annual 4H fee is required for kids running. Come a bit early to sign up as we leave at 5:30 p.m. sharp. For more information, contact Sherry Tamone at 321-8559.
• Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School court rentals -Community Schools has court rental times available, starting at 9 a.m., on Saturdays at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School. Cost is $20 per hour, per court, which must be paid at the time of rental. Info: 780-2075.
• Open gyms - Community Schools is offering open gyms from 3 to 5 p.m. Sundays at Thunder Mountain High School. Cost is $3 per person. Participants are asked to bring their own balls. For more information, call 780-2073.
• Evening masters swimming program - The Augustus Brown pool hosts a twice-weekly evening masters swimming program. The program will meet from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and is designed to promote and improve the physical and mental well-being of adults age 19 and older. Participants must be able to swim crawl stroke and backstroke. Info: Augustus Brown swim pool, 586-5325.
• Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. All press releases must include a contact name and a phone number that can be released to the public. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com.
© 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us