Man escapes burning cabin in North Pole

Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008

FAIRBANKS - A leaking propane tank exploded, injuring a North Pole man and burning a cabin to the ground.

Fifty-four-year-old William Bell suffered injuries to his arms and face Thursday night.

Battalion chief Ernie Misewicz of the North Star Volunteer Fire Department says Bell was alone in the rented cabin.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a faulty fitting on a propane tank that leaked propane into the cabin.

Firefighters arrived about four minutes after getting the call but the 12-by-16-foot cabin burned to the ground.

They found Bell outside with singed hair, flash burns to his face and first-degree burns on his arms.

He was treated and released at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING