Former Juneau resident Harold C. Felton, of Cannon Falls, Minn., died the evening of June 21, 2009, at the Cannon Falls Medical Center following a lengthy illness. He was 84.
He was born Sept. 16, 1924, on the family farm in Randolph Township, Minn., to William and Ella (Bachman) Felton. He attended the Randolph Schools, graduating in 1943 and then attended the Dunwoody Industrial Institute from 1944 to 1946, receiving an associates degree from the electrical department.
He married Betty Kostakos in 1946 at the Concordia Lutheran Church in Northeast Minneapolis. He began his career, joining IBM Corp. in 1947 in Minneapolis.
The couple lived in many different cities over the years, including Minneapolis, Owatonna, Juneau and Anchorage. In 1960, he transferred to San Jose, Calif., where he was a computer instructor, traveling to Venezuela and Ecuador in various capacities such as field engineer, manager and auditor. In 1990, he retired from IBM after 43 years of service.
He served as president of the Men's Club and on the church board for English Lutheran Church in Rochester. He also served in Rotary and the Chamber of Commerce in Juneau. In Morgan Hill, he was on the board of the Bridge Counseling Center and was involved in numerous fund-raisers for the center.
He loved to build and was instrumental in building a home for his parents in Cannon Falls, built and wired homes in Owatonna and Juneau. He built a cedar log home in the Sierras. In February 2000, they moved from Morgan Hill, Calif., to Cannon Falls. They were members of the St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Randolph.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Betty Felton; and baby brother, Elmer Felton.
Harold is survived by his brother, Arnold Felton of Randolph, sisters; Yvonne Montgomery of Bayport, Arlene (Loren) Ringeisen of Randolph, Audrey (Dave) McKeag of Stanton and many nieces & nephews.
A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, June 27, at St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Randolph with the Rev. Steven Schwartz officiating. Burial will follow later in the afternoon at Lakeside Cemetery in Randolph.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the St. Mark's Lutheran Church, The Food Shelf or the charity of the donor's choice.