Blaze guts valley home

Intense heat ignites nearby van

Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2001

A Mendenhall Valley home was gutted by fire Monday afternoon, causing up to $150,000 damage.

No one was home at the time of the fire, but a dog inside perished.

The fire at 9011 Long Run Drive was reported to Capital City Fire & Rescue at 2:21 p.m., said acting station Capt. Keith Walker.

"We had an engine on the scene at 2:27, but a volunteer officer, Mike Tagaban, was there a few minutes after the call," Walker said.

When the engine arrived, dark smoke was streaming from the windows of the one-story home, and a van parked next to it was also on fire. The fire in the house seemed to have ignited first, and then its intense heat set the van on fire, officials said. Twenty-two firefighters responded, using two engines, an ambulance and a support vehicle.

The prefabricated home, estimated at 1,200 to 1,400 square feet, was gutted, Walker said. He estimated the damage to the structure and its contents at $75,000 to $150,000, depending on the value of the contents.

Fire Marshal Randy Waters is conducting an investigation of the fire, but could not be reached for comment.

Neither the American Red Cross nor the Salvation Army had had requests from the home's owners for help, representatives said this morning. The fire department would not release the names of the owners.

Long Run Drive parallels the north side of Glacier View Mobile Home Park, but no other structures were involved.

Ann Chandonnet can be reached at

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us