Second of three men charged in murder sentenced

Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010

FAIRBANKS - The second of three men charged in the 2008 murder of Fairbanks businessman Daniel Frederick has been sentenced.

Michael Moore pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last year. The 25-year-old former Fort Wainwright soldier was sentenced Thursday to 40 years in prison with 20 years suspended.

The sentence was the maximum under a plea agreement approved by Superior Court Judge Michael MacDonald.

Authorities say Moore conspired with two other men in December 2008 to keep Frederick, the longtime owner of Blondie's Antiques and Military Supplies, quiet about stolen Army property they sold him.

Moore's court-appointed lawyer, Jason Gazewood, requested a minimum sentence of 10 years in prison. But MacDonald said extra time was necessary because of strong community condemnation of the murder.

The judge told Moore he dishonored himself and the Army and hurt the relationship between Fort Wainwright and Fairbanks.

One of the other men charged, Brian Towndrow, 23, had been discharged from the Army by late 2008 after he pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl.

The third man charged, Raymond Jones, 30, remained on active duty with Moore at Fort Wainwright's Stryker brigade, and the trio worked together to steal thousands of dollars' worth of Army property, mostly "Meals, Ready-to-Eat," the rations used by soldiers during field training and deployment.

When Moore's commander discovered the MREs missing in November 2008, he ordered those responsible to return them immediately or face the consequences.

The three men then broke into Frederick's storage unit, took the rations back to post and deposited them in the commander's parking space, according to assistant district attorney Scott Mattern.

At that point, the military stopped looking into the thefts of the rations.

Frederick, a 62-year-old veteran, chose not to file a police report, reportedly telling the owner of the storage unit that he thought he knew who stole the MREs but wasn't concerned about the break-in.

On Dec. 11, 2008, Jones, Moore and Towndrow went to Frederick's downtown home to confront him about money they felt they were owed.

Towndrow claims he remained outside in a truck as Jones and Moore killed Frederick. Moore told police that he struck Frederick in the head and Towndrow strangled the businessman, an account that was corroborated partially by the state medical examiner's autopsy.

Moore's father, Charles Moore, and his sister, Jennifer Gassman, flew to Alaska from Ohio to speak at the sentencing hearing.

They said Moore grew up in a close family, was a high school athlete and received a full scholarship to an Ohio college but wanted to join the Army and follow in the footsteps of his father, who served 20 years in the Army.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us