In 1925, Karl Thiele took office as the first full-time secretary of Alaska, the territorial version of today's lieutenant governor.
In 1939, the U.S. Coast Guard announced that it was revamping its structure and was merging with the Lighthouse Service and the Steamboat Inspection Service.
In 1946, a bill raising the territorial bounty on wolves from $20 to $30 and on coyotes from $17.50 to $25 took effect.
In 1949, the U.S. Coast Guard established Alaska as the 17th Coast Guard District with its headquarters in Juneau.
In 1959, state licenses were required for sport fishing, hunting and trapping. Gov. William Egan was issued license No. 1.
In 1966, the then-largest civil case in the history of Alaska was filed in Anchorage. In dispute were shifted property boundaries resulting from the Good Friday Earthquake of March 27, 1964.
In 1969, Bristol Bay's striking fishermen blockaded the mouth of the Naknek River to keep nonstriking boats from moving out to fishing grounds.
In 1969, the Southeast Alaska Correctional Institution at Lemon Creek in Juneau was dedicated.
In 1972, the United States made its first payment of $500,000 to each of 12 Alaska Native regional corporations. The payments finally totaled $462.5 million as authorized by the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
In 1972, the U.S. Naval Station and the Naval Communications Station at Kodiak were turned over to the Coast Guard for operation.
In 1972, the North Slope Borough was established.
In the nation
In 1863, the Civil War Battle of Gettysburg began.
In 1944, delegates from 44 countries began meeting at Bretton Woods, N.H., where they agreed to establish the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.