Aside from the obvious wisdom of not using public drinking water as a vehicle to deliver highly cumulative people-treatment substances, consider the following:
Sound off on the important issues at
1. Ninety percent of tooth decay occurs where fluoridation was never claimed to be effective: the pits and fissures of teeth, in other words, the chewing surfaces of the molars. Thus, for decades, dentists have been applying plastic sealants to these surfaces. A 1929 study by Frederick McKay showed that 95 percent of tooth decay occurred in the pits and fissures of molars.
2. In 1993, the Journal of Public Health Dentistry reported, "50 percent of U.S. Head Start children have had baby bottle tooth decay." Fluoridation does not help here either. Use of Sippy Cups is extending this devastating decay to near epidemic levels among poor children. A Denver Post article published April 13, 2004, illustrates this point. Denver has been fluoridated since 1954, and one dentist reported 300 cases a year of this rampant decay caused by high levels of tooth-surface bacteria.
3. Fluoride's effect is now claimed to be topical (such as toothpaste) rather than by ingestion. "Fluoride incorporated during tooth development is insufficient to play a significant role in caries (cavities) protection," according to the Journal of the American Dental Association in July 2000. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention came to the same conclusion in October 1999.
4. In establishing the lethal dose for test animals, it took 20 times more natural occurring calcium fluoride to kill 50 percent of the adult guinea pigs than it took for any of the three water fluoridation chemicals.
5. An Aug. 12, 1992, Journal of the American Medical Association study showed that hip fractures were doubled for women at age 75 if they drank fluoridated tap water for a 20 year span prior to their menopause when bone turnover is still rapidly depositing the fluoride into new bone. The men's increase in hip fractures was 41 percent. These figures only reflect the 50 percent accumulation into adult bone. Imagine what this figure would have been had these women been raised on fluoridated water since infancy wherein fluoride accumulation is 87 percent.
"The Fluoride Deception," a 2004 book based on documents declassified in 1995, reveals the details of this 1950s public health blunder. The Web site www.fluoridealert.org posts more than a dozen reviews of this long overdue investigative report.
Citizens for Safe
San Jose, Calif.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.