Man accused of trying to run over policeman

Officer stuns Davies after he nearly struck him with four-wheeler

Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A 28-year-old Juneau man who was shot by police with a stun gun while on an all-terrain vehicle Monday night faces charges that could send him to prison for up to 15 years.

Mark Alan Davies appeared in Juneau District Court Tuesday on felony charges of third-degree assault, failing to stop at the direction of an officer and drunken driving. District Magistrate John W. Sivertsen Jr. told him that each carries a maximum prison sentence of five years.

He is lodged at the Lemon Creek Correctional Center. Sivertsen set bail at $5,000. Davies also was charged with two misdemeanors, reckless endangerment and reckless driving.

According to police reports, the incident occurred shortly after 9:30 p.m. when the officer first observed Davies and an unidentified man on the four-wheel vehicle on Threadneedle Street, headed in the direction of Glacier Spur Road in the Mendenhall Valley.

The driver failed to stop at the direction of the officer, turned right onto Garnet Street and headed to a trailhead, where the vehicle continued to head toward the glacier, police said. While walking on the trail, the officer saw the four-wheeler and again ordered the driver to stop. Instead, police reported, the driver continued toward the officer and almost struck him.

Police Capt. Tom Porter explained Tuesday that the officer drew his sidearm when the four-wheeler was coming toward him because he felt threatened. He did not fire the gun. Instead he got out of the way, and holstered his sidearm.

The officer displayed and fired the stun gun after the four-wheeler turned around and headed toward him again, Porter said.

Davies left the scene and was later located at a Valley home, according to the report.

In court Tuesday, Assistant District Attorney Doug Gardner told Sivertsen that in March Superior Court Judge Patricia Collins ordered Davies to serve 40 days for a drunken driving conviction.

"The charges are getting more serious," Gardner said.

Sivertsen said that in addition to posting $5,000, he will need a third party to agree to watch him in order to get out of jail.

"Your record's not helpful," he said.

• Tony Carroll can be reached at

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us