Wednesday, July 9
• Midsummer Night Run - The Midsummer Night Run willt ake place at 6 p.m. at the False Outer Point Recreation Area. It'll be either a 10-kilometer or 1-mile race. Info: Clayton Hawkes, 790-4388.
Saturday, July 12
• Valley Lumber Tee Harbor Long Road Bicycle Race - The Juneau Freewheelers present the Valley Lumber Tee Harbor Long Road Bicycle Race at 10 a.m. The races are either 25 or 40 miles long. Info: Jim Sheufelt, 463-1237.
• Alaska Little League District 2 Major Baseball Tournament - The Alaska Little League District 2 Major Baseball Tournament will take place during eight days in Juneau.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
• Capital Cup Tennis Tournament - Tennis players representing Juneau and Whitehorse will battle at Mount Mac Tennis Courts for the Capital Cup. There will be junior, adult, singles and doubles events. The fee is $20 Canadian and includes tournament costs and a Saturday night dinner. Info: Mona Yarnall, 209-4286, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Golf clinics with Suzie Cary - Class A LPGA golfer Suzie Cary will offer clinics and lessons July 14-18. Cary has attended the LPGA National Education Programs and is a member advisor for the LPGA. Her clinics will cover "Full Swing-Rotating Through Golf Simulator & Dome."
For adults, ages 18-plus, the first beginner/intermediate clinic is 8 a.m.-noon Monday and Tuesday, and the second clinic is 8 a.m.-noon Thursday and Friday. The adult intermediate/advanced is 1-5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday. Cost is $120, plus tax, for members and $130, plus tax, for nonmembers.
For juniors, age 8-17, the first clinic is 8-10 a.m., and the second clinic is 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Cost is $40, plus tax, for members and $50, plus tax, for nonmembers.
Private lessons are July 16-18 in the afternoons. To schedule a lesson, contact Cary at 480-612-1480 or email@example.com.
For more information, call JRC The Alaska Club at 789-2181. Please register at the Valley Service Desk.
• Lowtide Ladies Golf Association - The Lowtide Ladies Golf Association is for women interested in playing golf. Beginners are welcome. Clubs and carts can be rented at the course. Play will be every Thursday at 6 p.m. through August 28. Golfers should contact the course if weather is questionable. Info: Mendenhall Golf Course, 789-1221, Donna Schultz, 789-3996 or Lynne Gregg, 790-1960.
• Tuesday Night Best Ball Golf League - This fun golf competition is for men and women of all skills. Every person is selected to a team to compete for points in a best-ball format. Players pay greens fees and a $5 weekly entry fee. Prizes are awarded at season's end. Register at Mendenhall Golf or just join on any Tuesday night. Start time is 6 p.m. Info: Mike Strasser, 463-1252.
• Juneau Parks and Recreation youth outdoor soccer, start smart and Thunder Mountain sports camps registration - Registration is underway at the Juneau Parks and Recreation office, online, fax, and at the Zach Gordon Youth Center. Info: Parks and Rec, 586-5226, Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us, www.juneau.org/parkrec/youth/youthsports.php.
• Ultimate Frisbee Players of Southeast Alaska - The Ultimate Frisbee Players of Southeast Alaska will hold league play will take place 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays and Sundays at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Field. The league is open to players off all ages and ability levels. Info: David Job, 586-3845 or Andy White, 957-2985, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Capital City Soccer League - The Capital City Soccer League will be hosting a number of leagues this season:
Men's Competitive League - This division runs June through September and is for experienced players ages 15 and up. Teams are sponsored by local businesses and there will be no draft this year.
Women's Competitive League - This league runs August through September and is for experienced players ages 15 and up. Sponsor fee is $400 and player fee is $40.
Co-ed Masters - This is a pick-up league for players over 30. Experience varies. Games are played September through October. Fee is $20 and referees are not provided. Spring games will be played at the turf field by Juneau-Douglas High School.
Classic Women's League - This league is for new women players and experienced players who do not want to play in a competitive league. Games run from June to September. This is a great league for players who have never played before but want to learn. Fee is $50. For players ages 15 and up.
7-a-side Tournament - The annual 7-a-side tourney will take place in Juneau. This double-elimination tourney features 30-minute games. Individuals are placed randomly on teams with at least three members of each gender. Participation is open to players 16 and up of all skill levels. Games are at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park.
Info: CCSL, 523-9196, www.juneausoccer.com.
• JDHS turf field available - The turf field by Juneau-Douglas High School is available for community use. The charge for reserving the field is $5 per hour for non-profit youth groups, $10 per hour for non-profit adult groups and $15 per hour for all other groups. Individuals and groups are asked to keep food, drink, gum and animals off the field. Info: Community Schools at 523-1773.
OPEN GYMS / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
• Dzantik'i Heeni open gym - Community Schools in cooperation with the PEP grant is sponsoring open gyms at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School on Saturdays from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. for youth in grades 6-12. There is no charge and youth are encouraged to bring a basketball or volleyball. Info: Community Schools, 523-1774.
• Zach Gordon Youth Center climbing wall - Climbing wall hours are 5-7 p.m. on Mondays, and 3:30-7 p.m. on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The climbing wall can be used by people of all ages. Climbers age 20-younger climb free, while adults 21-older pay $5 to use the wall. Youth-adult interaction is encouraged, so an adult climbing with a youth pays no fee. Private rental times are available for $25 per hour. Info and scheduling: Zach Gordon Youth Center, 586-2635.
• Evening masters swimming program - The Augustus Brown pool hosts a twice-weekly evening masters swimming program. The program will meet from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and is designed to promote and improve the physical and mental well-being of adults age 19 and older. Participants must be able to swim crawlstroke and backstroke. Info: Augustus Brown swim pool, 586-5325.
• Basketball/volleyball court rentals available - The Juneau Community Schools program has basketball/volleyball court rental times available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School. The cost to rent the court is $20 per hour, which must be paid at the time of rental. This is for adult activities only. Info: Juneau Community Schools, 463-1717.
• Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation Wednesday and Saturday hikes - For updates on locations of Wednesday and Saturday group hikes, call the Juneau Parks and Recreation Hikes Hotline. Always remember to bring plenty of food and water, wear warm layers of clothing and proper footwear for the hike. No dogs or firearms are allowed. Wednesday hikes are limited to hikers 18 years of age or older. Saturday hikes are open to families, and children must be accompanied by an adult. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation Hikes Hotline, 586-0428.
• JRC The Alaska Club Kids Camps - For ages 5-12, the camps are held all summer. There are one-week day camps for multi-sport: basketball, tennis, racball, soccer, games and outdoor activities. Open to the Public. The price with be 25 percent off starting June 23. Packets are available at www.thealaskaclub.com or either location. Info: 789-2181 ext 305.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. All press releases must include a contact name and a phone number that can be released to the public. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com. Put the words "Sports in Juneau" in the subject line.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us