Wiring may have caused Elfin Cove fire

Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010

JUNEAU - The state fire marshal says electrical problems likely started a fire that destroyed Cove Lodge in Elfin Cove.

The fire early June 19 destroyed the lodge, crew quarters and neighboring Coho Restaurant, which had an attached home. Damage was estimated at $1.4 million.

Deputy State Fire Marshal Bob Plumb says an official report is under review. But he says the fire likely began with wiring in a wall, although he didn't find physical evidence to back up that conclusion.

He says it makes the most sense based on interviews with owners, who tried to put the fire out in its initial stages.

As they fought the fire from below, they saw no fire on either side of the wall - just in the wall.

No one was injured in the fire.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING