Climber might be charged for Mt. McKinley removal

Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010

FAIRBANKS - The National Park Service says it might seek reimbursement from a solo climber evacuated from Mount McKinley last week.

The Park Service called on military helicopters to take 25-year-old Andrew Randolph off the mountain after camp doctors determined his behavior was erratic.

The removal operation cost tens of thousands of dollars. The park service is investigating whether criminal charges or the climber's insurance can help cover the cost.

John Leonard, a Denali National Park and Preserve ranger, says Mount McKinley sees only about a dozen solo climbers a year. Those climbers encounter higher rates of trouble than those who are part of a group.



Page not found | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

Page not found

We're sorry, but the page you were seeking does not exist. It may have been moved or expired.  Perhaps our search engine can help. 

 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

X