Today, July 22
* Gastineau Channel Little League -- Senior baseball state tournament: Championship game, Valdez vs. Juneau, 6 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park. Tournament runs through July 23. Senior softball state tournament: Juneau vs. District 1-Southcentral champion (Dimond-West), 4 p.m. at Melvin Park. Tournament runs through July 24.
* Gastineau Channel Little League -- Majors baseball exhibition games: Juneau plays Haines at noon and 3 p.m. at Miller Fields (near Glacier Valley Elementary School).
Monday, July 23
* Gastineau Channel Little League -- Senior baseball state tournament: If-necessary game, 6 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park. Senior softball state tournament: Juneau vs. District 1-Southcentral champion (Dimond-West), 6 p.m. at Melvin Park. Tournament runs through July 24.
Tuesday, July 24
* Gastineau Channel Little League -- Senior softball state tournament: Juneau vs. District 1-Southcentral champion (Dimond-West), if-necessary game, 6 p.m. at Melvin Park.
Saturday, July 28
* Southeast Road Runners Club -- Mount Roberts Tram Run: Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Mount Roberts Lower Tram Station for 9 a.m. race start for a roughly three-mile run with 1,800 feet elevation gain to the Upper Tram Station along the Mount Roberts Trail. Info: Bob Janes or Dawn Wolfe of Gastineau Guiding, 586-2666, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Sunday, July 29
* Juneau Rifle and Pistol Club -- NRA high-power rifle shooting event: Meet at 8:30 a.m. at Montana Creek rifle range for 9 a.m. event start. Info: Steve Bennett, 789-1717, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Juneau Youth Football League -- The Juneau Youth Football League will be taking registration for its upcoming season at the Nugget Mall from 1-4 p.m. on Sunday, July 22; from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 28; and from 1-4 p.m. on Sunday, July 29. Anyone interested in playing football or cheerleading should register at those times. Registrations require a current physical and a copy of birth certificate. If previously participated, JYFL has birth certificate already on file. Info: JYFL hotline, 463-3001, or on the Web at http://www.juneau.com/jyfl.
* Thunder Mountain Sports Camps -- Registration is open for this year's Thunder Mountain soccer and baseball camps, which are sponsored by the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation. Last year over 500 young Juneau athletes participated in the camps, which are in their 10th year. The camps feature local coaches, in addition to high school and collegiate coaches from the Lower 48. This year's "Wee" Soccer Camp is July 16-20 and costs $65; the Regular Soccer Camp is July 30-Aug. 3 and costs $90; the Advanced Soccer Camp is July 23-27 and costs $90; and the Baseball Camp is July 23-27 and costs $70. Info, brochures and registration: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Zach Gordon Youth Center free sports physicals -- Karl Bausler, a physician assistant with SEARHC, will provide free sports physicals for high school athletes from 1:30-4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays at Zach Gordon Youth Center. Students who will be attending grades 9-12 at Juneau-Douglas High School are encouraged to call the youth center and make an appointment now, so they beat the annual fall sports physicals rush. These physicals include medical diagnosis and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries, evaluation and treatment of skin conditions, and required immunizations for hepatitis A and B, tetanus and tuberculosis testing. Current immunizations are required for school entrance. Incoming freshmen and new students to JDHS will need a parental consent form signed, which is available at the youth center. Info and appointments: Zach Gordon Youth Center, 586-2635.
* Juneau Alpine Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 7, at the home of Kim and Barb Turley, 1136 Slim Williams Way. Info: Kim and Barb Turley, 789-7058.
* Summer Youth Open Gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym on Fridays throughout the summer. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Open gym dates are July 27; and Aug. 10 and 17; no open gyms on Aug. 3 or Aug. 24. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Juneau Freewheelers Bicycle Club weekly women's rides -- Women's training rides are held at 6:30 p.m. every Wednesday through the summer. Meet at the Downtown location of the Juneau Racquet Club on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, and at the Valley location of the Juneau Racquet Club on the second and fourth Wednesdays. All women cyclists are welcome. Emphasis is on learning paceline riding technique, and rides last about 60-90 minutes. Helmets are required. Info: Betsy Fischer, 789-2033 home, 586-6780 work or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Ultimate Frisbee pick-up games -- Pick-up games will take place at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park from 8-10 p.m. every Sunday in July and from 7-10 p.m. every Sunday in August and on Sept. 2 and 30. Additional times may be announced as they become available. Players should bring a light and a dark shirt. The fee is $20 for new players and $10 for members of the Ultimte Players of Southeast Alaska. Info: Peter van Tamelen, 790-6678, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.