Friday, Aug. 10
* Juneau-Douglas High School football -- The Crimson Bears varsity team hosts the Sitka Wolves at 7 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park.
* Juneau Freewheelers Bicycle Club -- Tour of Juneau, Stage One, Eaglecrest Hill Climb: Meet at 6 p.m. at the base of Eaglecrest Road for a five-mile climb to the ski area starting at 6:30 p.m. This is the first stage of a three-day stage race. Info: Dave Ringle, 790-7249.
Saturday, Aug. 11
* Juneau Freewheelers Bicycle Club -- Tour of Juneau, Stage Two, False Outer Point Time Trial: Meet at 9:30 a.m. at False Outer Point parking lot for a 9.9-mile time trial on the North Douglas Highway starting at 10 a.m. This is the second stage of a three-day stage race. Info: Dave Ringle, 790-7249.
* Southeast Road Runners Club -- Treadwell Twosome Traverse: Meet at 8:30 a.m. at Sandy Beach for 9 a.m. race start. This is a mixed two-person team event (one male, one female), with both runners covering the Juneau-Douglas High School five-kilometer cross-country running trail from opposite directions. This is an annual fund-raiser for the Juneau-Douglas High School cross-country running team. Info: JDHS coach Guy Thibodeau, 790-4269, or race director Paul DeSloover, 586-6709, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Juneau Alpine Club -- This week's climb is a two-day overnight trip to Mount Stroller White, with an overnight camp in Heavenly Valley. This trek has a high degree of difficulty and is about 20 miles round trip. Required technical gear includes ice axe, crampons and camping gear. Info: Trip leader Tim Arness, 789-9119.
Sunday, Aug. 12
* Juneau Freewheelers Bicycle Club -- Tour of Juneau, Stage Three, Auke Rec Long Course Road Race: Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Auke Rec parking lot, then ride to the ferry terminal for a 10 a.m. race start. The 40-mile course will follow the road out to the end of the pavement, then return via Lena Loop Road and Old Glacier Highway. This is the last stage of a three-day stage race. Info: Dave Ringle, 790-7249.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau Youth Football League -- Team tryouts: JYFL team tryouts for the pee wee, junior and senior division football teams will take place from Aug. 4-11 at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park. Tryouts open on Saturday, Aug. 4, with senior division players going at 10 a.m., juniors at noon and pee wees at 2 p.m. More tryouts for all divisions are at 6 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 6, and at 10 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 11. Players only need to attend one tryout, and all players trying out will be placed on a team. Players who haven't registered yet can register at the tryouts. Info: JYFL Hotline, 463-3001, or on the Web at http://www.juneau.com/jyfl.
* Juneau-Douglas High School girls volleyball -- First day of practice: The Crimson Bears varsity, junior varsity and C volleyball teams will meet at 6 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 6, at the JDHS main gymnasium for their first practice of the 2001 season. All prospective players must have a current physical examination on file in order to participate. Info: Sandi Wagner, 789-3421.
* Juneau Parks and Recreation men's and women's volleyball -- Team registration for the fall 2001 season takes place at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 9, at the CBJ Assembly Chambers. Late registration will be taken from 9 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 10, at the Parks and Recreation office in City Hall, but a $10 late fee will be charged. Space is limited. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226.
* Juneau-Douglas High School swimming and diving -- First day of practice: The Crimson Bears will meet at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 13, at the Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool, next to the high school, for their first practice of the 2001 season. All prospective swimmers and divers must have a current physical examination on file in order to participate. Info: John Wray, 586-8491.
* Zach Gordon Youth Center free sports physicals -- Karl Bausler, a physician assistant with SEARHC, will provide free sports physicals for high school athletes from 1:30-4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, Aug. 21 and Aug. 28, at Zach Gordon Youth Center. Students who will be attending grades 9-12 at Juneau-Douglas High School are encouraged to call the youth center and make an appointment now, so they beat the annual fall sports physicals rush. These physicals include medical diagnosis and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries, evaluation and treatment of skin conditions, and required immunizations for hepatitis A and B, tetanus and tuberculosis testing. Current immunizations are required for school entrance. Incoming freshmen and new students to JDHS will need a parental consent form signed, which is available at the youth center. Info and appointments: Zach Gordon Youth Center, 586-2635.
* Juneau Alpine Club monthly meeting -- Meet at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 7, at the home of Kim and Barb Turley, 1136 Slim Williams Way. Info: Kim and Barb Turley, 789-7058.
* Southeast Alaska Singles Championships tennis tournament -- Registration is open now for this tennis tournament, which takes place Friday, Aug. 24, through Sunday, Aug. 26, at the Valley location of the Juneau Racquet Club. Registration closes at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 23, and the draw will be posted at 9 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 24. Players are allowed to enter in up to two divisions at $15 each (for example, juniors and men's). Info: Hassan Bani Saaid, JRC tennis director, 789-2181.
OPEN GYMS / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Summer Youth Open Gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym on Fridays throughout the summer. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. Open gym dates are Aug. 10 and 17; no open gym on Aug. 24. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Ultimate Frisbee pick-up games -- Pick-up games will take place at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park from 7-10 p.m. every Sunday in August and on Sept. 2 and 30. Additional times may be announced as they become available. Players should bring a light and a dark shirt. The fee is $20 for new players and $10 for members of the Ultimte Players of Southeast Alaska. Info: Peter van Tamelen, 790-6678, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com.
Juneau Empire ©2015. All Rights Reserved.