Alaska Digest

Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005

Man held on felony fugitive warrant

JUNEAU - A 21-year old Juneau man was arrested last week on a fugitive warrant alleging that he didn't return his 5-month-old daughter to the girl's mother after a scheduled weekend visit in Ohio.

Marshall C. Miller was being held in the Lemon Creek Correctional Center.

Juneau police reported their officers initially talked to Miller on Wednesday at his Juneau home after they had been contacted by a police detective in Marshfield, Ohio. The Ohio officer told Juneau police that Miller was named in a warrant charging misdemeanor interfering with child custody.

Juneau officers took the girl into protective custody after talking with Miller. The girl was released to a case worker for the state Office of Children Services.

At about 5 p.m. Wednesday, Ohio officers notified Juneau police again, saying they had a felony warrant on the charge and would seek his extradition to Ohio, Juneau police said.

Two die in plane crash near Cantwell

CANTWELL - A man and woman from Gardena, Calif., were killed Friday when their small plane crashed in a mountainous area inside Denali National Park and Preserve.

The victims were Roy Abel, 65, and his wife Claire, 64, Alaska State Troopers spokesman Greg Wilkinson said. Abel was the owner of the plane and the pilot, Wilkinson said.

The crash occurred shortly after 1 p.m. about six miles northwest of McKinley Airport near Cantwell, said Maj. Mike Haller, a spokesman with the Rescue Coordination Center in Anchorage.

Haller said they were the only people aboard the four-seater Beech Bonanza 35.

The plane crashed at about 5,300 feet in a saddle area between mountains near Windy Pass.

An Alaska Air National Guard rescue helicopter landed about 1,000 feet below the crash site, and two pararescuemen hiked up to the plane. When it was determined that the two people on the plane were dead, the pararescuemen helped remove the bodies.

The bodies then were flown to Kulis Air National Guard Base in Anchorage where the Palmer coroner picked them up, Haller said.

There were actually three planes traveling together when the crash occurred, Haller said. One of the three turned back to look for the missing plane and found the wreckage.

The reason for the crash was not readily apparent, Haller said.

Abandoned newborn found in utility room

ANCHORAGE - A newborn boy was found in a utility room of an Anchorage home Friday morning, and a teenage girl living at the home eventually acknowledged being the mother, police said.

The infant, who still had his umbilical cord attached, was doing well at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, according to police. The 17-year-old mother also was doing well at the hospital, said detective Cynthia Bradley.

The girl, whose name was not released, at first repeatedly denied she had just given birth, but finally admitted it after speaking with her mother and grandmother, according to Bradley.

"I told her if you did have a baby, you really need to go to the hospital," she said.

By wearing baggy clothes, the teenager managed to hide her pregnancy from the many members of her family.

She also managed to give birth without anyone's knowledge Friday morning in the home she shares with her parents, grandparents and siblings, Bradley said. No one saw her as she wrapped the infant in a blanket and took him to the utility room at the back of the house.

Soon after, the girl sent her 15-year-old sister to the utility room, asking her to sort through clothes the family planned to donate to charity. The younger sister found the baby lying on top of bags of clothing, Bradley said.

The mother of the teenagers called police shortly after 8 a.m. to report the discovery.

The infant's mother also has a 14-month-old child, KTUU-TV in Anchorage reported.

Officials with the state Office of Children's Services were notified about the newborn and are looking at options, including turning him over to adult family members.

Police have notified the District Attorney's office and will explore possible charges that could be filed.

Kenai faces trash from dipnetters

KENAI - For the final three weeks of July, hordes of dipnetters from Anchorage and the Mat-Su area camped out on Kenai's beaches to take part in a fishery that's grown into Alaska's premier fish harvesting frenzy.

Now that fishing is over, however, an ugly reminder of the dipnetters' presence remains behind - trash.

Kenai Parks and Recreation director Bob Frates said the city usually spends about a week using city workers to get most of trash off the beach and out of parking lots.

"A couple weeks ago we found a mattress in a creek," said Trevor VanRooyen, one of three city workers canvassing the north beach Wednesday.

Having spent all day Tuesday at the south beach, Kamilla Goggia said she's found that bags of fish waste are her least favorite item to find left behind.

"There was a lot of fish guts and maggots," she said. "That was disgusting."

In addition to bags of fish waste, the workers said they found plenty of food wrappers, grills, empty cans and bottles and even an old ironing board left behind by someone who used it as a fish cleaning table.

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us