Juneau soccer teams win three State Cup titles

Jaguars, Xtratuffs, Reign earn trips to West Regional in Spokane, Wash.

Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003

The Juneau Soccer Club had a threefer and a three-peat in Sunday's championship games at the State Cup tourney in Palmer.

All three JSC teams in the finals - the Reign U-13 boys, Xtratuffs U-14 girls and Jaguars U-15 boys - won close, hard-fought games to earn berths at next June's Far West Regional Championships in Spokane, Wash.

For the Jaguars, Sunday's 1-0 victory over the Kenai Peninsula Raptors gave them their third straight State Cup title.

The Xtratuffs repeated as State Cup champs with a 3-2 double-overtime shootout victory over the Alaska Goldstrikers. It was a rematch of last year's championship game.

The Reign won 3-2 in a double-overtime, sudden-death shootout game against the Cook Inlet Soccer Club Kamikazes to claim their first State Cup title.

It is the second straight year that three JSC teams have won State Cup titles. Last August, the Jaguars, Xtratuffs and Riptide U-13 boys won state titles to advance to the regional tourney in Hawaii this past June.

Jaguars 1, Raptors 0

Jamaal Bailey scored the only goal of the game - a first-half score off an assist by Andrew Flansaas - as Juneau's defense held Kenai in check.

Bailey's goal was a shot from about 15 yards out that found the upper left corner of the net.

Defenders Daryl Lew, Owen Kelley, Alex Schirmer, Nils Domke and Bryan Crowder were among the Jaguar players who helped shut out the Raptors, assistant coach Richard Schirmer said. Juneau goalie Eric Choquette also played strong.

"Eric had an outstanding game in goal," Richard Schirmer said. "He stopped a couple of shots off of breakaways."

Juneau's Carlo Ebron contributed a good effort despite playing in pain after aggravating a toe he broke last year.

Xtratuffs 3, Goldstrikers 2,


For the second straight year, Juneau beat the Alaska Goldstrikers in the championship game but this time the Xtratuffs had to win in a double-overtime shootout.

The Xtratuffs trailed 2-0 at halftime; in the second half, it was Juneau goalie Kayla Walton who got her team on the board.

Walton was pulled up to take a direct-free kick from about 35 yards out, and her shot found the back of the Goldstrikers' net.

"She not only had to stop goals - she had to score them," Xtratuffs coach Tom Rutecki said.

Later in the second half, Juneau's Isabel Waldman scored on a short shot to tie the game.

Rutecki said his team's training paid off in the hot conditions.

"As the game went on, our conditioning pulled us through," he said.

After ending regulation tied 2-2, the two teams played two scoreless 10-minute overtime periods.

In the ensuing shootout, Juneau's Nellie Metcalfe, Amanda Soto and Michaela Goade made their shots as only two Goldstrikers shots got past Walton.

"I was half-calm, half-scared," Walton said of playing in goal during the shootout. "I took two steps off to the right (and the shots) ended up going that way."

Juneau's Clarissa Suson, Elizabeth Talmadge, Allison Bremner, Goade, Jenna Rutecki and Lindsey Daniel contributed on defense.

Reign 3, Kamikazes 2,

2OT/sudden-death shootout

Juneau lost to the CISC squad 3-0 earlier in the tournament, but the Reign gained valuable knowledge on how to best contain the Kamikazes' offense.

"They learned how to play them the second time around, and they applied that," coach Doug Badilla said. His players shut down passing lanes from the midfield to the Kamikazes' forwards to hold the team in check.

The Kamikazes scored first, in the fifth minute of the first half, and Juneau responded 15 minutes later as Aaron Badilla scored off an assist from Fernando Valero.

In the second half, the Kamikazes scored in the first minute. But Juneau tied it two minutes later as Joe Slagle scored from 25 yards out with an assist from Joe Croteau.

The teams were tied 2-2 at the end of regulation, and played two scoreless overtime periods.

Reign players Andrew Sigler, Slagle, Valero and Badilla hit their attempts as the two teams tied 4-4 in a five-shot shootout.

The game then moved to a sudden-death shootout, where one miss could end the game. Juneau shot first, and Collin Sielbach made the attempt. Anchorage made its sixth shot, and then both teams missed their seventh.

Goalie Conor Lendrum made a great save for Juneau on the Kamikazes' seventh shot.

"If he had missed it, it would have been over for us," Doug Badilla said.

On the eighth shot, Juneau's Kevin Craig got the ball past the Kamikaze keeper. The Kamikaze shooter aimed for the left corner, but his shot hit the left post and bounced out to give Juneau the win.

"It was a great effort from the forward line all the way to the defensive line," Doug Badilla said. "They learned to believe in themselves, and in they're ability as a team."

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.  | Contact Us