Today, Aug. 12
* Juneau Freewheelers Bicycle Club -- Tour of Juneau, Stage Three, Auke Rec Long Course Road Race: Meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Auke Rec parking lot, then ride to the ferry terminal for a 10 a.m. race start. The 40-mile course will follow the road out to the end of the pavement, then return via Lena Loop Road and Old Glacier Highway. This is the last stage of a three-day stage race. Info: Dave Ringle, 790-7249.
Friday, Aug. 17
* Juneau-Douglas High School football -- The Crimson Bears host the Bartlett Golden Bears at 7 p.m. at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park.
* 55th Annual Golden North Salmon Derby -- Derby runs from Friday, Aug. 17, through Sunday, Aug. 19. Weigh-in stations at Douglas Harbor, Amalga Harbor and Auke Bay Harbor are open from 7:30 a.m. through 7 p.m. each day, except on Sunday when all boats must be lined up at the weigh-in station by the time the derby-ending signal bomb goes off at 6 p.m. Derby tickets are $35 for adults, $10 for children under 12. Tickets must be validated before fishing takes place. Info: On the Web at http://www.salmonderby.org.
Saturday, Aug. 18
* Southeast Road Runners Club -- Eaglecrest Road Race: Meet at 8:30 a.m. at Mile 0.5 Fish Creek Road (the road to Eaglecrest Ski Area) for 9 a.m. race start. Courses are one mile and five miles, with the one-mile course starting at the ski area. Race features challenging hills. Info: Deborah Craig or Bob Marshall, 586-6200, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Juneau Alpine Club -- This week's climb is an overnight climb of Observation Peak, a medium-energy output trek of about 10 miles round trip. Required technical gear includes an ice axe. The trip will be rescheduled for Saturday, Aug. 25, if the weather is bad. Info: Trip leader Greg Bledsoe, 463-3211.
Sunday, Aug. 19
Southeast Road Runners Club / Juneau Freewheelers Bicycle Club -- Capital City Fish-On Duathlon: Meet at 12:30 p.m. at False Outer Point parking lot for 1 p.m. race start. Event is tentatively listed as covering a two-mile run, 16-mile bike, two-mile run course. Info: Layne Brant, 789-7549, or by e-mail at email@example.com, or Tracy Rivera, 463-1529, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Juneau Rifle and Pistol Club -- NRA sporting rifle event: Registration 9 a.m., shooting starts 10 a.m. at the Hank Harmon Rifle Range, Mile 2, Montana Creek Road. Info: Steve Bennett, 789-1717, or on the Web at http://go.to/jrpc/.
MEETINGS / CLINICS / ANNOUNCEMENTS
* Juneau-Douglas High School swimming and diving -- First day of practice: The Crimson Bears will meet at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 13, at the Augustus G. Brown Swimming Pool, next to the high school, for their first practice of the 2001 season. All prospective swimmers and divers must have a current physical examination on file in order to participate. Info: John Wray, 586-8491.
* Juneau Parks and Recreation youth basketball -- Registration for the 2001 youth basketball season is Aug. 13-24 at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office downtown or at the Zach Gordon Youth Center. The fee is $35 per player and the league is open to players ages 6-18 as of Oct. 1. Volunteer coaches and paid referees are also needed. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226, or by e-mail at Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us.
* Juneau Parks and Recreation PeeWee basketball -- A coordinator is needed for the peewee basketball program for players ages 6-7 as of Oct. 1. The program is run on Saturday mornings in a clinic format. The coordinator is responsible for instructing players on 10 Saturdays from Oct. 6 through Dec. 8. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation youth sports supervisor Myiia Whistler at 586-5226, or by e-mail at Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us.
* Thunder Mountain Sports Camps lost and found -- All the lost and found items from the July sports camps are currently stored at the Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation office. To claim an item, stop by the office at 155 S. Seward St. between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Mondays and Fridays. Be prepared to describe the item you are missing. Info: Juneau Department of Parks and Recreation, 586-5226, or by e-mail at Myiia_Whistler@ci.juneau.ak.us.
* Zach Gordon Youth Center free sports physicals -- Karl Bausler, a physician assistant with SEARHC, will provide free sports physicals for high school athletes from 1:30-4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, Aug. 21 and Aug. 28, at Zach Gordon Youth Center. Students who will be attending grades 9-12 at Juneau-Douglas High School are encouraged to call the youth center and make an appointment now, so they beat the annual fall sports physicals rush. These physicals include medical diagnosis and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries, evaluation and treatment of skin conditions, and required immunizations for hepatitis A and B, tetanus and tuberculosis testing. Current immunizations are required for school entrance. Incoming freshmen and new students to JDHS will need a parental consent form signed, which is available at the youth center. Info and appointments: Zach Gordon Youth Center, 586-2635.
* Southeast Alaska Singles Championships tennis tournament -- Registration is open now for this tennis tournament, which takes place Friday, Aug. 24, through Sunday, Aug. 26, at the Valley location of the Juneau Racquet Club. Registration closes at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 23, and the draw will be posted at 9 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 24. Players are allowed to enter in up to two divisions at $15 each (for example, juniors and men's). Info: Hassan Bani Saaid, JRC tennis director, 789-2181.
OPEN GYMS / SCRIMMAGES / ONGOING
* Summer Youth Open Gym -- Meet from 8-11 p.m. at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School gym on Fridays throughout the summer. Open gym is free for students in grades 5-12. The last summer open gym date is Aug. 17. Info: Community schools director Joyce Kitka, 463-1700, Ext. 327.
* Ultimate Frisbee pick-up games -- Pick-up games will take place at Adair-Kennedy Memorial Park from 7-10 p.m. every Sunday in August and on Sept. 2 and 30. Additional times may be announced as they become available. Players should bring a light and a dark shirt. The fee is $20 for new players and $10 for members of the Ultimte Players of Southeast Alaska. Info: Peter van Tamelen, 790-6678, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
* Open roller hockey scrimmages -- Regular open roller hockey scrimmages for high-school age players and adults this summer are from 8-10 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Glacier Valley Elementary School's outdoor covered area. Bring your own skates and sticks. Extra equipment and sticks is available, but limited. Info: Ben White, 789-2841, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports in Juneau is a service provided by the Juneau Empire to provide information on upcoming sports and outdoors events in Juneau. It runs when space is available and event notices should arrive at least one week before they are scheduled to take place. To submit an item to Sports in Juneau, please fax the info to 1-907-586-3028 or e-mail it to email@example.com.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.