A recent survey conducted by Northwestern National Life found that 40 percent of workers believe their job is very or extremely stressful. With that said, the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety says these six job conditions could have a negative effect on your workplace stress. Prolonged exposure to these conditions could cause severe stress.
1. Design of tasks: long work hours, heavy workload and tedious tasks.
2. Management style: poor communication or lack of family-friendly policies.
3. Interpersonal relationships: lack of support from co-workers or supervisors and a poor social environment.
4. Work roles: too much responsibility, and conflicting or uncertain job expectations.
5. Career concerns: lack of opportunities for job growth, advancement or promotion and frequent changes.
6. Environmental conditions: unpleasant or dangerous physical conditions, such as noise or air pollution.
Juneau Empire ©2014. All Rights Reserved.